Chapter 15 - Like Father Like Son

NORMAN

Ming takes after me when it comes to losing our tempers. Doesn't happen that often, but when it does? It's best to be somewhere else.

We throw a bit of a fit and stew over it for a little while. Desperately focus on something else to take our minds off it. And then talk it out if we can....to get rid of it once and for all.

I sat in the backseat of the cab with an arm around him as we drive to the stadium. Each of us deep in our own thoughts. My fingers start pinching the bridge of my nose, trying to relieve some tension.

This is our 'stew'  time.

But I didn't just have 'a bit of a fit'  at Lucy. I let rip at her in a way that I haven't done for such a long time.

It's totally justified though!

There she was. Presented with such a golden opportunity, huh?

Lucy could've come to the game with us and had a good time. So she and Mingus can continue to build on what they seem to have started, this afternoon.

But instead? She obviously  thinks that a cupla hours of minimal effort on her part is more than enough. Well, not even a couple of hours I bet. Cos she would've spent a lot of her time with Sasha's son as well.

I'm  the one who gave her a chance to come back and live in her home. Helped her with her grief and took time out of my life to make her feel comfortable.

And what does she give me in return?

Sweet fuck all....of fuck all!

How can I have been so monumentally wrong about someone? I thought I was getting a good sense of who she is.

Still very shy yet at the same time....strong. Makes herself push past her fears? A quiet sense of humour and fun. Fiercely protective and loving towards her family and friends.

Yeah, she's got herself a shitload of money. Doesn't seem to act entitled because of it though. I kinda get the feeling she'll be just as happy with very little?

Why the fuck am I kidding myself?

I hardly know her and now that I'm finally seeing her true colours for myself? Everything else must've been an act.

And I'm not impressed....not one little bit.

*

Ming was the first to come out of his 'stew'.

Getting out of the cab, he grabbed my hand and we ran to the entrance.

When it got to half-time, my kid was in his element. Our team is up on the board and the courtside seats are brilliant. He bounced around in his, taking snaps of the crowd.

As happy as I've ever seen him.

I tried to keep pace with his enthusiasm. Must've done a reasonable job as he hasn't picked up on my mood so far. However, I'm not even getting close to the 'take my mind off it'  stage.

He went ballistic when our team won. So we caught a cab to within a few blocks of the house. Went to our favourite new pizza dive to celebrate.

Ming kept up the chatter about the game and us being there, together. Never once having mentioned Lucy. Not since we left her behind.

That changed on our walk home.

"Dad....do you think Lucy will still be awake when we get home?"  He asked quietly.