Chapter 4 - What Would Sigmund Think?

LUCY

If you sigh in your sleep and there's nobody to hear it....is it really a sigh?

I wonder if I'm having a 'Vivid'  dream. Where everything is in such clarity. With sight, touch, sound and taste....

....almost as if your dream is truly real?

I had the big four for a while then the sight switched off....not a vivid then.

Oh shut up, Lucy!

You're simply asleep so get a damned grip, girl! And no, you're not going crazy. It's just a 'lucid' dream. So enjoy it while it lasts.

That's what it is....phew!

Ok!

Back to it then  💤

*

It started how it always does. And boy Oh boy....have I missed it or what!

I'll be in my bed just as I am now. Only I won't be alone. He'll be here....the faceless man. Faceless because, well ummmm....I don't actually have a face for him yet?

I'm a bit behind when it comes to relationships, with men that is. I mean, I've got male friends for sure. It's just that they're simply....friends.

Look, here's the deal.

I kinda got gifted some brains. Who would've thunk it, huh? Went to school and learnt what I could. Then my brother and I started a business. Well, he started it....I just work for it.

We made a lot of money very quickly. I left school and we both left home. Moved our business here to the U.S as this is where most of our clients are based.

New York to be precise. 

It nearly killed me, leaving Mum and Dad. Yet they were even more  insistent that I spread my wings....learn how to fly. All but kicked me out of the nest that was my home.

I was sixteen and LaLa twenty-two. We made a whole lot more money and I've kept working. Because I like it....working that is.

So between school and my job? There hasn't been much time for....anything really. Yep, I'm the original lost cause at the ripe old age of twenty-three.

End of story.

Now, can I please get back to my dream? It's much more interesting than boring old me.

We'll be lying on our sides, holding each other. I must be really  exhausted, because normally we just cuddle a bit and then I wake up.

But still, cuddling is nice....I suppose  🤔

But this dream?

Lordy me!

What normally happens next in real life, after cuddling? Well....it's finally happening! And it feels like it's gone on for hours.

Hence my sigh from before.

*

So, it starts with the lights off this time and him dragging me closer to his chest. Sliding an arm around my back.

I catch the scent again. The exact same one that's on the sheets and pillow. My tummy begins to jump as if it's chock full of corn that's popping.

Oh!

My faceless man has a beard and moustache? How lovely.

Then he rolls over onto his back, still holding me close. And my hand is on his chest.