Prologue

NORMAN

I waited until she reached the bottom of the staircase.

Puffing slightly, she tried tugging down the tight skirt that'd ridden up her stockinged thighs. At the same time, she wiped away the hair falling over her now slightly sweaty face.

I suppose five flights might take it out of some people? She should've used the elevator.

"What's the catch?"  I stared her straight in the eyes, all seriousness now.

Time to get down to business.

"Mr Reedus....Norman....just admit it. You've fallen in love. It's written all over your face. So why on earth would you think there's a catch?"  She purred, trying to put on a pout. 

A pretence of being offended by my scepticism over the deal I'm being offered?

'Which profession came off in the latest list of being the most untrustworthy?'  I muse.

Can't remember if it was car salesmen or real estate agents? I'm leaning heavily towards the latter right now.

I've been really lucky. My acting career has taken off in the last few years. Movies and now a regular stint on a TV series have built up my bank balance more than a fair bit.

My last buy in the market? Was a three-bedroom penthouse apartment with a large balcony. After just a single viewing I was persuaded to sign my name on the purchase agreement.

Don't get me wrong....I still love it. But running the gauntlet of residents and their 'visitors'  just to make it to my own front door? Is becoming a real chore.

One that I'm now loathe to keep putting my son Mingus through, every time he comes to stay with me.

Rather than make another expensive mistake, I've decided to keep it as an investment property. Lease a townhouse or semi-detached for a couple of years instead.

'Try before I buy'  Might be a better way of describing it?

But Ms Sienna Macklin, who boasted to me of being Manhattan Realtor of the Year 2012....got one thing a hundred percent right.

I fucking love it! And have done, ever since I first stepped foot inside.

*

The street frontage remains quiet even though it's now peak hour evening commute time. Yet less than a block away are some of the best restaurants and bars in Greenwich Village.

Most of them are very familiar to me.

It's a double-wide townhouse with four floors and a basement that's been partially converted into a garage. From the street front, twelve steps lead up to a well-secured entry. The first-floor windows are set high enough off the sidewalk to stop prying eyes from looking in.

Have had to deal with a lot of those lately.

I love my fans, I truly do. But sometimes?

It'll be more than nice if my home life could just go back to the way it was. My own time out. Not have to worry about photo lenses or prying eyes capturing my every move.

The price of fame can have a high cost. And I'm missing the privacy of my downtime off-the-clock. I know Mingus misses it too.

Sorry for having an ungrateful whinge there. Let's get back to my prospective  new abode, huh?

The first floor consists of a foyer and staircase. The huge formal lounge leads through to the dining room then the kitchen. There's also a smaller family-type lounge and a library / study.