Chapter One- The beginning of the end

Grisha McLaggen, Heir of Gryffindor. I knew him. I needed him. I loved him and this is our story.

I sat in the small train compartment staring absentmindedly out of the window at the quickly passing hills and fields around us on my way to my third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 

So focused was I that I could barely hear Lazarus muttering on about his big plans to rediscover his ancestors old mansion and live like a king and Wiglaf's sighs and occasionally snipes at how ridiculous of a plan it was. Suddenly a bang to my left broke my focus and I turned to discover its source. Lazarus had dramatically slammed a book down on the table in protest to Wiglafs disagreements. Now out of my pensive, I looked at the other person in the carriage sat nonchalantly directly opposite me. 

Tom Marvolo Riddle, hire of Salazar Slytherin, a year my senior just like Wiglaf. I felt my chest tighten; Tom had always had an odd effect on me that I have never experienced with anyone else. He was charming, intelligent, handsome and above all else mysterious. He also sat stirring out of the window, his piecing blue enigmatic eyes hardly seeming to blink. Anyone who had no come to recognise the tightening of his sharp jaw would have thought that he was completely oblivious to the chatter beside him but he was not, on the contrary he was irritated by the conversation. I looked down to his pale, slender hands; he was fingering his wand slowly, another sign of annoyance that I had come to associate with Tom's refined behaviours. I took this opportunity to poke the tip of my patent leather shoes into his shin; he instantly turned his gaze to me expectantly. I flicked my eyes towards the two boys beside us and smirked, he pursed his lips in response, slowly focusing his eyes upon them.The conversation stopped within minutes, Tom had the ability to hold a room, demand attention without a mere whisper; it was something that had always fascinated me.

"What?" Lazarus Smith, heir of Hufflepuff broke the silence; Lazarus was a law onto himself, a daydreamer. He always meant well but he struggled to see past himself and his own feelings, although he was in the same year as I in Hogwarts he was certainly the most immature of our motley crew. Tom did not grace Smith with a reply he simply returned to staring out of the window a small smirk playing at the corners of his mouth. And the other man in the group? 

The heir of Ravenclaw of course, Wiglaf Sigurdsson. He stared Riddle down pryingly as usual before returning to reading a book that he had, had resting on the table in front of him. Wiglaf was like a big brother to me, he was in the same year as Tom.

 Wiglaf was the confident of the group, he was able to give the best advice, he favored logical thinking over emotions and was driven by knowledge and doing the right thing, I don't think Wiglaf ever broke even one school rule the whole time I had known him. Him and Tom were similar in their great intelligence, focus and determination but Tom was much more socially apt than Wiglaf and was not afraid to break the rules, as long as he could ensure that he wouldn't get caught. 

Although I had known these people for one whole year prior to this moment, this was the start of everything and the beginning of the end.