June 1st (part 1)

In honor of his 22 birthday

Tom was turning 22. Oh well, who cares, right?

Well apparently Zendaya did, cause she had me out shopping for about five hours today.

We had all sorts of decorations and party favors, and Tom was bound to have a heart attack when he arrived home to her little jump scare.

She made me buy a new dress, and it was ridiculously flirtatious for his party.

Z had everything planned.

Including that she'd be his honorary date, whatever she meant by that.

But I was supposed to keep him out of the house under the presence that I wanted to tell him happy birthday by myself.

So I did, but now he wanted to go home, so we were currently in his car driving back home.

I had a mad crush on this guy, and it was almost unreasonable.

But I mean, have you seen him? He's kinda irresistible.

"Hey, are you okay? You've been quiet all night," Tom said while messing with his fingers on the steering wheel.

"I'm fine," I nodded, staring at the road.

As soon as the house came into view I saw a curtain move and knew Z was watching.

"Hey, do you mind if I come inside with you?"

"Duh," he snorted.

"Don't be a meany."

"I'm the birthday boy, I'll behave however I damn well want to," he sassed in return, turning the motor off.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him up the path, opening the door.

"SURPRISE!"

I felt him jump, and laughed at the look on his face.

He was beaming at all the people who'd showed up.

I didn't know any of them.

"Happy birthday handsome!" Z waltzed forward and handed him a glass.

She didn't hand me one though, with me being underage still.

In America, but when we visited England, well, that's another story.

"Happy birthday," I muttered, and Z made me go upstairs to get my new dress on.

Which I didn't want to do, but it's for her and Tom, so I'd have to suffer.

I studied my face in the mirror. "Why can't this guy like me?"

"Cause he likes someone else."

I jumped, and turned to see Z standing in the doorway.

I frowned at her. "Oh yeah? Who?"

"Me, duh."

She shrugged and left the room.

I sulked down the stairs behind her.

Tom caught sight of me and whistled.

"I love the dress darling," he said to me when I'd stepped off the stairs.

"I bet it would look better on Tom's bedroom floor, huh?"

We both stared wide-eyed at Harrison.

"Are you flirting for me, mate?" Tom asked, and Harrison shrugged with a smirk on his face.

I sighed and shook my head.

I'd have to pretend to enjoy myself for him, even if having Z flirting non-stop broke my heart more.

I wanted to be able to flirt with him, but that seemed so weird.

We were just friends.

"Are you feeling alright, darling?"

I nodded at him.

We were just friends.

"Do you want to go outside with me for a moment?"

I nodded again.

We were just friends.

He led the way outside, me following numbly behind him.

We were just friends.

He leaned on the banister, looking down at me with a new expression on his face.

We were just friends.

"You look absolutely stunning, you know?"

We were just friends.

But why couldn't I convince myself it had to stay that way? For my sake and his, we had to stay just friends.

"Thank you," I smiled appreciatively up at him.

His big brown eyes were soft enough to put me in a trance, and his small smile made me want to kiss him even more.

"You're being so quiet, are you sure you're okay?" He asked, his soft expression hardening in worry.

I gulped, looking at the landscape beyond us. "I'm fine."

"No you're not."

"Don't argue with-"

"Please tell me what's wrong, I can't stand to see you so upset."

I couldn't possibly look that miserable, could I?

"I'm fine, Tom."

"No, Y/N, you're not. Stop lying to me."

I sighed in pure frustration now. "Okay Holland. How about this, you back off and leave me to be miserable all alone, okay? Cause you can't fix this problem. Enjoy your birthday. I'm going home."

I stalked off leaving him in stunned silence.

Z pushed past me to start talking to him, but I watched him staring after me.

We were just friends.

I pushed through the crowd, yanked the front door open, and shook my high heels off into the grass and walked in the direction towards my house.

I was almost blind from crying tears I hadn't given permission to fall.

I heard heels clicking behind me, groaned, and turned to face an angry Zendaya.

"You had to make it about you, huh?" She asked. "You're trying to ruin his day? You always do this. Do you not get enough attention? Huh!?"

I wanted to smack her.

I'd never felt this urge so bad.

Usually, we got along so well, but when she'd found out if had a crush on her costar, she became very withdrawn before becoming very touchy and angry.

"No, Z, I made sure he wasn't worrying about me and told him to have fun."

"You dirty liar."

"What the hell does that mean? Please leave me alone. You don't even care, so why chase after me?"

"Because he likes you! He likes you, not me! And I hate you for it! But-but I can't keep interfering. I-I-I'm going back to the party now."

Now it was my turn to be left in stunned silence.

I sniffled and continued walking.

I wasn't turning back.

We were just friends