What Are You Doing In The Kitchen?

XLI

"I'll call you in five minutes, okay?"

"Yes, Duncan." I huffed annoyed as he shot instructions after instructions, at me. We were standing on the porch for the past five minutes, since every time I made a move to leave, he would stop me to tell me something. 

"But don't you think I have more chances of getting killed due to being on phone while driving than some random person attacking me?"

"Nope. Now off you go." He gave me a slight nudge, wanting me to leave. Funny how I've been wanting to do exactly that for the past seven minutes. "Fine, I'll go but you better go straight to bed and at least try to sleep." He rolled his eyes before complying. "Okay, I'll try. But you please be safe, okay?" This time it was my turn to roll my eyes although I couldn't stop the smile to appear on my lips. "Okay." I turned and stepped down the stairs, looking back one last time at him before making my way to his car.

It's natural for someone to wish and hope someone you know, to take care of themselves when they're out of their sights. But not everyone means it. Only the people who really care about you and love you, would mean it. And that concern and honesty will shine through their eyes. I heard the front door close as I drove through the circular driveway and out the gate.

It felt weird being behind the wheels after a little over five months, but it also felt relieving at the same time. This was the first time in months that I was truly alone in every sense of the word. There was no one, no driver, no co-workers, no security. Nothing. My phone rang breaking the silence of the night. "Duncan?" I asked as soon as I answered the call.

"Hello to you too, love." He mocked making me roll my eyes. "Are you in bed?" I asked, getting to the part which was important. At least to me. "Darling, please don't ask questions like that." The unease was clear in his voice and it took me a few seconds to process the reasons behind them. "My question was completely rational, Duncan. So, answer the question." I huffed, squinting at the dark road ahead that had a few lamp post at regular intervals, as the only source of lighting.

"Yeah, I'm tucked in. Now, coming to the more important issue." He started. "Once you get there, there is going to be a number of people. Go with your ears and you'll come upon two people who would be arguing. One would be the investigating police officer and the other would be FBI--"

"Wait, FBI?" I cut in, confused.

"Yes. Historical Society is a museum so, an agent from Art Crimes would be there, to see if anything is stolen or needs to be authenticated. Anyway, just tell the officer, who you are. He might want to see ID or talk to me, do what he or she asks you to. Next, they would want you to unlock the area and free the woman, to make arrests. So, to disable the lock-down, all you need to do is go to the home screen of the tab." He continued to narrate the step by step process of, how to disable a complete lock-down from the only remote device that has access, that is, his tab. "You understood? Or, do you want me to repeat?"

"No, I got that. But, you said there's a woman inside the restricted area?" I asked curiously, stopping at a signal. "Yes, I did." Was his reply. "Well, I was hoping, you would follow it up with a reason as to how you know that." I pressed, with a sarcastic smile on my face, which he obviously couldn't see. "Oh, yea well, I thought you already knew that the entire building is under my surveillance. But now that my tab is with you, it's under yours." I mentally face-palmed. Of course, how could I forget. That's exactly how Nick found out about the previous trespasser, which raises another question.