Chapter 57

Your hands shook. Your eyes faded dark. You saw Marcus look up at you, then take a step away from Harvey as if he knew something bad was about to happen. Within milliseconds you had Harvey pinned to the ground, your forearm pressed hard against his throat.

"Alex's blood can't save you now. If you die by suffocation, there will be no cut, no wound, no nothing to heal... you'll just simply be dead." You growled, your heart numb and full of hatred that was bursting at the seams. Harvey coughed and laughed breathlessly, although had been rendered unable to stop or fight against you.

"Well played..." Harvey smiled, seeming to accept that this was a good way to die- he'd given his all and the game had gone on for far too long... lost the lives of far too many.

"Well played, d-dying the same way I killed my wife.." Harvey breathed, your eyes widened however you pressed on his throat harder, completely cutting off his air. When you went to try to find his wife after she left the first note, you had seen her dead- there was blood, but you did not get a good look at what had caused the death. Harvey strangled her... to ensure she couldn't come back. He was giving one last attempt to psych you out, make you second guess yourself. How could you be certain Harvey couldn't come back, when somehow his wife did?

..... no.

No more mind games.

Harvey had been surprised that she lived through it as well. Which meant that he was not prepared to live through this- he had no possible way out.

"Y/n.." Jim said from behind you, placing a hand on your shoulder.

You snapped back to reality, the darkness clearing from your eyes to see the limp man beneath you. You gasped and jumped up, quickly backing off. He was dead. Fully, completely dead.

"Y/n, it's okay." Jim said, pulling you into his arms. You were completely trembling.

Jim's POV:

What had he just witnessed.

You were not a murderer.

Sure, he could manipulate you into one, but only him. You would rather kill yourself than someone else, however somehow you got to your breaking point and you killed Harvey. Not that jim was complaining. At ALL.

Pulling away from you. Jim turned to face Marcus, going straight up to the kid silently.

"Explain."

"W-what?"

"Explain why you shouldn't be joining Harvey on the floor. Now. Right now."

Marcus gulped and looked away.

"I'm... really sorry. I didn't plan on helping Harvey, I swear-!"

"Your actions two minutes ago says otherwise." Jim growled in response. Marcus swallowed, shaking his head.

"Look-" he exclaimed, pulling out his phone and scrolling through a couple things, before showing jim a picture. In it was Harvey, beside a limp Alex. There were more. One showed Alex's blood, the processing, and there was a voice recording of when Marcus was being tortured... that part had been real. Harvey really tortured Marcus, and likely threatened him to be an information source on the inside- Harvey had planned for you and Jim to come and rescue Marcus, he was counting on it.

"I-I knew the only way to take Harvey down was to get y/n to do it- jim, when you hate someone enough you get sloppy- especially so if the first time you tried to kill them had failed. William would never be able to commit to killing Harvey in a way that would stick, and Alex.. he could never do that but y/n... she's never killed anyone before and she's the only one of all of you that could think it through while in the process, despite Harvey's manipulations- I'm... really sorry.. but this is why I said she should leave Alex here longer, and why we should tell her about ty, and.... more. I knew Harvey would use them all against her, and then when she was already at breaking point, having me betray her would push her above and beyond. ..... im So, so sorry... i did what I had to do to protect you two.. and... Alex." Marcus glanced over at his comatose friend, as jim stared down at him. Bloody clever kid....

".... you let Ty die so that I would murder Harvey...?" You asked, jim coUlD basically year your heart breaking in your voice. Marcus smiled and looked down.

"..... heh. Ty die. .... Tye Dye. ....... but no!!!!! He's not dead-!!!" Marcus recovered quickly, knowing you were in no joking mood. Jim sighed, shaking his head.

".... Marcus was the one who insisted that we leave Ty back at my building when we left... William told me about how Marcus was worried ty would get hurt, or couldn't handle that sort of thing. However when you asked Marcus why ty didn't come, he told you ty wasn't feeling well. Marcus knew ty would be killed as we were gone, however just as you stormed off, Marcus brought it to my attention that I had a way to save him.... but he also suggested that we not tell you about it, because if you were mad it would be a good weapon to use against Harvey. However I didn't expect that he already had it completely planned out..." Jim stated, looking down at the kid.

You nodded slowly, eyebrows drawn together. You just killed harvey... you knew he deserved it, and he needed to be dead... but it was you that had killed him...

"But in case it all went wrong, i had blackmail ready on Harvey.. if I released any of this, his business would be done. And then we could find some other way to take him down..." Marcus reassured, although it was evident he felt really bad he manipulated everyone the way he did. Jim simply smiled down at him, he couldnt help but respect the kid. A lot.

"... you're very thorough. We could still use that- of course we don't want people knowing where the source came from, but we could let out a twisted version. Harvey tortures people to test his product- one day he got too carried away, and set the whole building up in flames— with him in it, to see if he could be healed." Jim hummed. Marcus thought about it a moment, then nodded in agreement. Releasing that information and burning down this building would simultaneously end his business, and him. Everyone would realize he was a criminal, and if he was ever seen again people would freak out, to say the least.

Jim glanced back to see how you were doing, only to realize you had gone by Alex, and were holding the kid in your arms. Jim sighed. He never necessarily liked the kid, but... he had potential. ... not to be manipulated, of course. No. Jim refused to do that. He just meant.. the kid had potential to get along with jim, someday..

How the hell was harvey so thorough, though? He faked having a good side like Alex did, which kept him alive a lot longer than it would have otherwise. He even bloody pretended to care about Alex and regret his actions at times jim was watching him- he must have known Jim had hacked into the security cameras. And decided to give a show..

"He's okay, y/n... he just needs some time to heal, he's going to be alright..." Marcus reassured you quietly, jim lightly placed a hand on Marcus's shoulder to stop him.

"...... stay. Away. From me. And Alex." You warned, holding Alex close. Marcus swallowed, looking up at Jim. Jim shrugged, ruffling the kids' hair. This would be incredibly hard on you, he knew that much. Once they were out of here, Alex was safe, and William was... calm... jim would work on trying to help you get yourself together and not harbour too much resentment towards Marcus..