Chapter 1: For what it's like to be lost (AUTHOR'S NOTE)

Humans originally had four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces. It is said that humans before had an immeasurable, great strength so much so that they threatened to conquer the gods. Zeus developed a creative solution by splitting humans in half as punishment for humanity's pride and doubling the number of humans who would give tribute to the gods. These split humans were in utter misery to the point where they would not eat and would perish so Apollo had sewn them up and reconstituted their bodies with the navel being the only remnant harkening back to their original form. Each human would forever long for his/her other half; the other half of his/her soul. It is said that when the two find each other, there is an unspoken understanding of one another, that they feel unified and would lie with each other in unity and would know no greater joy than that. But without their other better half, they'd feel lost.

They are together called soulmates.

Meant for each other.

Made for each other.

We as humans are meant to be forever lost, that is, until we can find our other halves. And be complete as a whole.

We were once a different human. Split over time into two halves when we were once a whole; a being who once shared the same body, the same soul, and the same natural affinity.

But now that we are no longer a fused being, what do we do?

-We search for our other halves to be complete.

But what happens if: even after miles and stretches of time of searching, you can't find your other half.

Then it's because he/she is not the one.

Your other half is somewhere else. Searching for you too.

So sit back and relax. Don't leave the opportunities you were meant to have in the first place searching for your other half.

He/she will come to you. In time. When the universe bows down at your feet, fate inclines towards you, and you see the signs everywhere around you.

Don't waste time searching for your other half.

If it's meant to be, he/she will come. After all, weren't the two of you a single entity who shared the same soul.

Just like the broken pieces of a mirror can be glued together to see a reflection, the other half of your soul will come back to you. The only difference is that you'll see your reflection in a mirror, a thousand times better, in a million broken pieces of glass.

But you should remember you do not need another half to complete yourself. You're just as complete without your other half because you can still exist and live even as a single half.

You've been surviving for all these years without your other half. Well maybe it's because you can survive. Maybe you can live more. Or even more so without the other better half of your soul. Even to the day where you take your very last breath.