Chapter 4: The Sandbridge pier

Emrys King

I'd immediately gone out for a walk along the beach after I'd settled down in my huge and spacious condo. My manager was pretty hard on me but at times like this, I'd like him for booking me a nice condo. I'd be staying here for a month and it was nice knowing he understood my decision to have some me time, for myself.

I put on my headphones and selected a song from my favourite playlist.

I started walking, listening to the music blaring through my headphones, feeling my shoes sink into the sand as I took one step and another. I could feel the sand even through the fabrics and soles of my shoes. I watched as my shoes sank slowly into the sand. I watched it resurface and the sand fall off from the fabrics of my shoes. I walked leisurely at my own pace. I was in no hurry.

I reached the pier and climbed its step. I walked till I reached the end of the pier. I wanted to sit and dangle my feet from the edge of the pier. But there was someone else who had the same thought as me.

She was reading a book.

She was holding the book in her right hand and would occasionally use her left hand to pull back her strands of curly hair away from her face. The weather here was chilly with occasional winds which sprayed some mist of precipitation.

She was beautiful and alluring. I could feel and see it even from where I was standing from afar.

She carried around her a certain kind of charisma which made people feel pulled and attracted towards her like the opposite ends of a magnet.

I was more than just attracted. She was wearing an oversized blue sweater and a blue denim jean. Her feet were neatly tucked in a white converse paired with white ankle socks. She had all the curves and figure. But she seemed like the type of girls who concealed their body away from those with the hungry eyes.

I knew she would catch me staring at her sooner or later and that would be awkward so I think of ways to get her attention without trying to appear rather intrusive.

I start off by commenting about the book she was holding in her hand.

Bad move.