Chapter 10: Last summer

Emrys waited for Tansy at the pier, looking at the ocean in front of him. He had packed up his bags and his manager was waiting for him in the car. He had to leave any minute but he'd go only after meeting Tansy. He had something important to tell her. He'd arrived at 11 am sharp just as he had been told too when he had asked when he should meet her over the phone.

As Tansy was walking up the stairs, she found a pair of eyes watching her as she made her way to the pier. She had seen the man in the black suit sitting in the passenger seat of Emrys car and thought that he must be Emrys manager.

"Is he your manager?" Tansy asked as she came to stand beside Emrys.

Emrys raised his eyebrows in confusion and gave Tansy a quizzical look.

"The one wearing a suit in your car?" Tansy asked, pointing backwards with her thumb, from where she had come.

"Oh! Yeah!" replied Emrys.

Tansy didn't mention the weird look with which his manager was looking at her. She went straight to the point.

"What'd you'd want to talk about?"

Emrys hesitated for a second but said, "I'm leaving today at 12. I even texted you about it a few days earlier from today. When was it..."

"I can't remember."

"It was five days ago," said Tansy in a serious tone.

Emrys looked at Tansy and found her acting strange. She was way too serious, not smiling as she always used too but most of all, not looking at him.

"I know. I replied to you saying okay!" said Tansy in a harsh tone.

"You remember?" Emrys said out loud surprised because Tansy was acting rude and different.

"Yes I do Emrys."

"Is this all you wanted to tell me or you have something more," Tansy said harshly and irritatedly, not looking at Emrys but at the ocean in front of her.

"I love you Tansy Hayes."

Tansy closed her eyes and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"So much so that even though you won't agree with me, that's fine. I'm willing to make it happen. Our meetings at the pier, I'll come down here as much as I can. I'll tell my parents about you and they'll understand. Understand my visits here at Sandbridge beach," said Emrys smiling.

Emrys turned to look at Tansy and found her looking at the ocean, her face hard and unreadable. He got scared for a moment but continued. He had to say all of it.

"I want to tell the world about you. No more hiding. I want to tell them about your intoxicating smile, your addicting charisma, your warm soul and your kind heart and I want to tell them about us."

"Stop! Just stop Emrys!" croaked out Tansy.

"I think I've heard enough. Enough for me to say that we-"said Tansy pointing at herself and then Emrys.

"Are never going to work out?"

"Because there never was an us."

Emrys turned sad, his expression readable all over his face.

"28 days! Emrys!" said Tansy.

"That's how long we've known each other. We might both think we know a lot about each other from these past 28 days but we do not. We really do not."

"But we can get to know each other more," said Emrys stepping forward.

"Right?" said Emrys but stopped when Tansy took a few steps backwards and put her hand on his chest to stop him. Emrys grabbed her cold hand on his chest but Tansy quickly threw his hand away from hers.