Continuation 1

25 years ago

Over at the Petersons dinner table

David Peterson

"David?" my Mom called out to me.

"Yeah," I replied while eating my peas and fried potato wedges.

I looked up from my dinner to see my Mom and Dad exchange apprehensive glances at each other. Now David had lived long enough in the Petersons household to know that such glances meant only one thing; trouble. I tried to remember if I was to be scolded again for any trouble that I had caused at school but there was none. I was trying to maintain a clean record at school just as I was told to by my parents and had therefore, caused no troubles at all and even steered clear of any troubles at school. I had done nothing wrong and was trying to remember if it was anything that I said or did when my mother interrupted my thoughts.

"Your father and I have made a decision," said my mother.

I suddenly lowered myself under the dinner table to partially hide my body and thought, "Oh boy! What had I done?"

"You will from now onwards not only sell lollipops across town but also spy on the Waltons store right across the street from the Buffett mansion."

"For us," said his mother while throwing dagger looks his way.

"Wait what!" I replied while choking on the peas I was having for dinner.

"Eh ho ehh huuuuu eh!"

*Slight cough*

Followed by more "eh ho ehh huuuuu eh!"

*Coughs more rapidly now*

"Eh ho ehh huuuuu eh."

"I'm so sorry honey, we had to spring the news so early to you," my mother said while passing me a glass of water and making me drink it.

"But you have to do it,' said my mother sending those dagger looks at me once again.

She gave me that one look that said it all. I had to do it and so I did.

So the next day I went to the Waltons store across town after school ended and this time I edged myself a little closer to the Waltons store. I looked left and right every now and then to see if anyone was looking at me spy on the Waltons. No one was looking and was busy minding their businesses.

"Good!" I thought when I found no one spying on me spying on the Waltons. Not even busybody Mrs. Fox.

I had never gone this close before to the Waltons store like what I was doing right now. In the past, I avoided all together crossing the street but instead stayed close to the Buffett mansion right where I was to be selling lollipops. But not today I thought. Not today, especially when I was on a mission greater than that of even James Bonds. So I crossed the street looking to my extreme right, left, back, front to see if anyone was looking at me till I had successfully reached in front of the Waltons store.

I quickly surveyed the area in front of the Waltons store for any person who was spying on me. When I was a 100% sure that nobody was looking, I carefully peaked into their store from their glass windows and saw that none of the Waltons were there. Just a group of workers the Waltons had hired for their store. Good I thought to myself. The more spying I do, the happier my parents would be of me.

I continued spying on the Waltons store for my parents for quite some time until I got caught.

My great grandpa had served in the army during his time and my parents were very serious about conserving and preserving his memories. I hadn't even seen him and he had died long before I was born but my parents made me do it on compulsion saying that it would make our ancestors proud.