The mystery bridge

Cyrus Lindow

I watched her as she slept peacefully. Her white hair sprawled across the pillow on which she rested her head, she did look like what the others called her.

The moon.

No, his moon.

After she'd fainted that night on the porch, Cyrus had got scared and told her the truth when she'd regained consciousness in the hospital.

"If you had to choose between the sun and the moon, who'd you chose Cyrus?" she'd asked me.

I smiled knowing my answer. I didn't have to think hard about it.

"The moon," I answered and I watched as a smile knowingly and slowly grew on her face.

I asked her the same, "The moon or the sun?"

"The sun," she answered stroking my arm.

As she lay on her death bed, she had made one last request; that her bed be faced towards the windows where she could see the stars.

"Cyrus?" she whispered.

"Yeah," I said, getting up to do anything for her.

"Open the window for me please," she said trying to open the window but too weak to do it.

I opened the window for her and sat down on the bed when she patted the space next to her.

She slowly laid her head on my chest and I supported her as she used the last strength she had left inside of her to raise her hand to point to the stars and speak.

"That's Perseus," she said pointing to a group of stars in the night sky.

"That's Andromeda," she said pointing to a next group of stars a little to the right.

I watched Cynthia contort and writhe in pain but there was nothing I could do except gently stroke her hair and cuddle her, just as she had told me to do.

"Watch the stars for me will you?" she asked.

"After am gone."