Chapter 7: The hare

Elan Wynton

I watched her as she talked on the phone from afar.

After Id finished making her order; a simple latte I went up to her and kept the cup of coffee in front of her.

She took one glance at the cup of coffee Id placed on her table and she paused her conversation to look up to me and smile.

Thats when my heart started to play some rapid funky musical heart beats all of a sudden.

I clenched the tray I was holding in my hands tightly as I made my way towards my station.

Thank you, she said, waving her hand at me and returned to continue her conversation.

She used to come to my grandmas café every Saturday at around noon.

Shed always sit alone most of the time at one of the corners, typing into her laptop.

She looked like a university student. I heard from one of my friends who went to UC Berkeley that she was also attending their college.

At one time when shed shown up with her group of her friends, shed actually had a long conversation with me.

She asked me if I went to college and I replied saying that I actually went to Berkeley City College in town and that I helped my grandma with her shop on free times.

My friend from college Greta had once come to spend some time with me at the café the same day she had come with her group of friends.

But after that day, she never spoke to me or thanked me or even said, A hello? whenever she came.

Shed open her laptop, finish her coffee and leave.