Chapter 4: The opportunity cost

"Hey!" shouted Jonathan as he forcefully grabbed Amica by her arm.

Amica shrugged him off not wanting to meet his eyes or even look at his face.

Jonathan grabbed her other arm also and made him face her as he turned her around.

"What's up with you huh?" asked Jonathan.

Amica said nothing and stood there sulking with her arms crossed on her chest.

"Why didn't you come to our Saturday get-together last time? Do you know how much I waited for you? I thought you might have been busy so I sent you text messages and called you a hundred times but you didn't even reply or call me back?"

"What's wrong with you?" asked Jonathan shaking Amica as he grabbed the sides of her shoulder.

Amica quickly removed his hands from her sides and said, "Just don't Jonathan. Try to act like you're the victim over here because you're clearly not."

"Let me ask you a question the answer to which I already know," said Amica raising her hands in the air and shrugging.

"Was Samantha there with you when you waited for me at Mrs. Loveson's restaurant?"

"Was she there with you the whole time you waited for me to turn up but then I didn't?"

"Answer the question Jonathan," said Amica.

"Yes. At least she was there for while you didn't even turn up," said Jonathan harshly.

"Wow! Just wow Jonathan!" said Amica clapping her hands.

"You are really so dense, aren't you?"

"We've been friends since childhood Jonathan. We've been friends from the very day we were both born because our parents were close friends. Yet you choose to side with her and put the label on me as the culprit and make yourself the victim."

"Do you even know who the culprit over here really is?"

"She sent me a text last Saturday Jonathan, telling me not to come because she wanted some alone time with you."

"And you're asking me why I didn't show up?"

"Just unbelievable Jonathan!"

"You know what instead of asking me all the questions why don't you ask your girlfriend some questions that you need to ask for once?"

Amica swallowed the lump that had built up in her throat and said, "You know what she did Jonathan? She labeled me as the hoe of this school-"

Amica lost her voice for sometime and cleared her throat.

When she finally found her voice again, she looked at Jonathan straight in the eye.

"Because I was your best friend. The next person most closest to you after her," said Amica pushing Jonathan back as she hit him on his chest.

"I said that I understood her when she said that I was coming in between you two and that I should give you two some space. So I did but look where it got me. I'm being labeled the hoe of our school and I get text messages from everyone in school, asking me how does it feel to be a hoe for Jonathan?"

"This was all her doing Jonathan but this has to stop. I tried to be more understanding and more accepting but then she does this. Calls me a hoe when I never was."

"Do you know what a hoe is Jonathan?" Amica yelled.

"It means prostitute which I am not. You know that, everybody knows that yet am being called one."

"I'm officially cutting all ties I had with you Jonathan. I won't put up for even one second being called a hoe just because I happen to be your best friend. Free me of those labels because even if you don't want to, I will and I've already done it."

"Don't ever call or text me again Jonathan."

"But listen Amica, I can fix this-" said Jonathan but was immediately interrupted by Amica.

"Stop Jonathan! Just stop. Don't make me regret ever being friends with you and calling our friendship a mistake."

Jonathan sighed in defeat and played with his fingers, not wanting to break down.

Amica controlled the tears that were threatening to fall down and wiped a single tear that had fallen on her right cheek.

"I'm no more your best friend, a hoe as your girlfriend calls me, the culprit, or even the victim over here because I've had enough."

"No more putting up with this fucking shit because I've freed myself from all those labels. But now I think it's time you did too."