Chapter 7: A half an epoch

Tansy Peterson

I went back to the pier once more, book in hand hoping to meet him again. Yesterday's meeting had been quite short and I wished for such meetings to be longer from next time onwards. My mother had not left for work and had asked me where I was going. She had stopped me when I was on my way to the door.

My Mom and Dad were high school sweethearts.

I think everybody including me upon hearing this fact will be;*awwwww.. such a sweet thing.*

No my friends. This is not a sweet thing.

Because what you're going to hear next will definitely blow and fry the minds off your head upon hearing the bottom line of their sweet love life.

Just like mine did. (*Casual nodding of head with arms neatly folded.*)

It's not all sweet I'll tell you that.

Even I was shocked when they had told me for the first time. I was in middle school I guess.

They had actually been bona fide enemies! Before being a couple, a life partner and a parent. Just like their parents.

They shared the same bad blood as their parents until one fateful day when each one of them would go to each others respective parents stores to spy for them.

My Mom and Dad had been such literal enemies that even in high school they'd ignore each other purposely in the school hallways. Lunch recess was one of the best moments for them. They'd sit with their respective group of friends at their marked lunch tables; two lunch tables facing each other. Now my grandparents weren't even far better than them. My Mom and Dad would take some items from their respective stores and my grandparents would also allow them. In the end, as always it was my grandparents who made them do these things even if my parents were unwilling at first but had to finally relent. They didn't eat or use any of the items they had brought from their respective stores. Instead they kept it in their bags secretly hiding it from others or they would sometimes find their bags hoarded to its last bit. Then would come the moment of glory at lunch recess where Mom and Dad would lay down their special items on the lunch table for everyone to see. Mom and Dad would then quietly sit with arms neatly folded and stare at each other with such intensity you could feel the sparks of their vengeance. Their friends were now the entrepreneurs. They would loudly shout and act like pure brats to catch the attention of the entire school. When they knew they had everyones attention they would then hold each item from Mom and Dads respective stores like prized diamonds and compare on whose was better.

Every time every item from my Moms store was held up to show off to everybody, my Dads team on the other side of the lunch table would boo and woo.

And every time every item from my Dads store was held up to show off to everybody, my Moms team would boo and woo.

They continued to be enemies for quite some time. When my mother was sent to the other part of town where my father lived and when my father was also sent to the other part of town where my mother lived, they became to meet each other more frequently. Which changed everything and hey! Their end product is standing over here. (*Dramatic waving of hands to grab readers attention*)

My parents were sent across different parts of town to do their parent's dirty jobs. Our town had this common intersection which joined the two different parts of town. The intersection became a low and horizontal leveled ground after joining the two steep roads leading to the two different streets. My Mom and Dad would always meet each other at the intersection after their respective two hour shifts at two different parts of town ended. They would ride their bicycles but when they happened to meet at the intersection on the way home, theyd ignore each other like always with a dramatic turning of head to look away with a simple *hmm-uhh*

The enmity between my parents was harmless and amusing.

My parents owned the only two convenience stores in town. One belonged to my mother and the other to my father.

Now their fateful meeting had been quite funny actually. From what my Dad and Mom had told me, both of them lived on the opposite sides of town where both their parents owned local convenience stores. My Dad and Moms parents were quite the rivals and enemies or so I've heard. There were only two convenience stores in town and it was natural instinct for both of their respective parents to feel the heat of the competition; on whose store was better.

Things became a little more heated than expected when Mrs. Buffett, the only richest housewife of our town had a sudden change of heart to go and change stores. Mrs. Buffett always bought her things from the Petersons store, that is, my fathers side of the family. But at one crucial Moment, when her spoiled bratty 5-year old wanted a lollipop that was the moment that changed everything. Mrs .Buffett had been loyal to the Petersons for over a decade and always bought her grocery items from their store even when my Moms store, the Waltons was near her rich mansion. But one fateful day changed it all, when Mrs. Buffett had no other choice but to buy her son a lollipop from the Waltons.

Another chuckle-some person was Mrs. Fox and I see her every now and then, spying on everybody on the street discreetly and secretly, trying to dig some golden news for her hot topic, gossip group sessions, which usually took place down at Mrs. Heaton's bakery.

Mrs. Fox had seen Mrs. Buffett buy her son a lollipop from the Waltons and had gone to the Petersons store immediately to tell them about it. Now the Petersons were very angry and felt betrayed that their only richest and most valuable customer would visit their arch enemys store. So much so that they sent my father, David Peterson all the way to the other side of town where the Waltons store was located after his school hours to sell lollipops in hopes that if Mrs. Buffetts son was to ever ask for a lollipop again then he would get one from the one and only Petersons store.

As if that was not enough of an element to add to it, my mother, Victoria Walton was also sent all the way to the other side of town where the Petersons store was to distribute flyers advertising her parents store.

You want to guess what the Waltons were advertising. The flyers that my Mom distributed read,

"Mrs. Buffett bought that lollipop from our store. So why dont you?"

It was not just a simple propaganda for advertising their respective stores. The Petersons had always wanted to spy on the Waltons store and the Waltons had always also wanted to spy on the Petersons store. But they could not be seen anywhere near the opposite sides of town from where their store was located or else people would talk. Mainly because of Mrs. Fox who had only bad news to deliver to the Petersons and Waltons families. So they had instead sent their respective son and daughter to spy on each other's stores.