Chapter 7: Putting cards on the table

Cyrus Lindow and Cynthia Duncan came to meet and know more each other more often with the both of them being appointed school boy and girl president.

They both had been shocked when they came to know each other more personally as time had passed.

They had group study sessions at their respective houses in turns as they both encouraged each other to perform much better and harder than they had done before.

Both of them were A+ grade students and both of them balanced each other perfectly.

Sometimes Cynthia would also take up Cyruss workload as school boy president and finish it alone, all by the school girl president herself so that Cyrus could focus on the upcoming interschool basketball championship.

Cyrus slowly started to have feelings for Cynthia the more time they got to spent with each other so the following day before prom, he had asked her out.

It came as no surprise to anyone when Cyrus Lindow and Cynthia Duncan had been nominated Prom King and Queen and crowned the same night.

Everyone cheered and clapped for them as they got crowned Prom King and Queen except Mike Stiller and Stacy Underwood who had come second to them.

Haley and Julie clapped the most till their hands started to burn and pain from all the pressure but they celebrated their friends victories as their own because from all the people in the world, she deserved that stage right up there the most.

Standing next to Cyrus Lindow as they got crowned, Cynthia Duncan surely did look nothing like the others called her.

Cynthia Duncan was wearing the most dazzling black one shoulder extreme split maxi dress, and had let down her hair which reached up to her hips.

She had done away with her colorful hair streaks and standing next to Cyrus Lindow in his black suit, the both of them did look like what Haley and Julie had once called them together.

The moon and the sun.

She looked like she always did. But as she was being crowned Prom Queen, all spotlights on her, everybody watched and felt her pale silvery white luminescence shining from within her.

She had it all in her before. It was just that everybody had failed to notice it.

Everybody parted ways that night so that the moon and the sun, a.k.a, the Prom King and Queen could have their first ever dance.

And all eyes were on them, as they danced the night away.

Prom King and Queen.

Or to the eyes watching them dance;

The Sun and his Moon.

And the Moon and her Sun.

Cyrus had invited Cynthia to dinner over his place. He had asked his step mother and his Dad to put up their best behavior because his prom date was coming home for dinner.

But things got a little heated when his Dad brought the topic of his dead mother up and Cyrus snapped.

"My wife died in an accident trying to save Cyrus, my boy. I will be forever grateful to my late wife for saving me my son from that horrible accident," said Mr. Lindow expressing his grief and sorrow to Cynthia.

"So you're glad she's dead, isn't she?" snapped Cyrus.

"That's why you got another freaking wife!" yelled Cyrus leaving the dinner table as he threw an angry look at his step mother.

"I'm sorry. But please excuse us," said Mr. Lindow wiping his forehead.

"No it's okay," said Cynthia getting up to leave herself and go up to Cyrus.

She was just about to leave when she felt someone place a hand on her shoulder.

It was Cyrus's stepmom.

"Please look after him," pleaded Mrs. Lindow.

"Cyrus feels like that it should have been who had died in the accident. Not his mother. He'd give anything to have his mother back. Even his own life. He blames himself for his mother's death. I just want him to know that it isn't his fault but-"

"You see how he is with me?"

"Maybe he'll pour his heart out with you," said Mrs. Lindow.

"Maybe," said Cynthia turning to go to Cyrus.

She found him sitting alone by himself on the porch.

She sat next to him and said, "There's something I have to tell you Cyrus. But before you get mad at me there's something you have to listen to first."

"Don't blame yourself for your mother's death Cyrus."

Cyrus whipped his head to lash out at Cynthia but Cynthia quickly brought her right hand to stop him and said, "I know what you're going to say. That I am in no position to tell you what to do because I've just recently come into your life and I don't know what you're going through."

"You're right. Maybe I don't but then I know what's it's like to live your life holding onto this resentment which makes you angry and sad."

"Why did you think she saved you when she could have saved herself?" said Cynthia as she wrapped her arms self consciously around her.

"Because you're her son Cyrus. There's no greater thing than love on our planet and I think you know it too. You miss her don't you?"

Cyrus nodded his head.

"I've held onto resentment for so many years but I soon came to realize that it did nothing good except wear you down."

"So I'm asking you from my personal experience, let go of it Cyrus," said Cynthia taking Cyrus's hand in hers.

"Don't think that you don't have a mother Cyrus. Because as far as I'm sure and I'm always right, your Dad married your stepmother not for himself but for you hoping that she'd fill in the space as your mother. Not replace your mother as you're thinking."

"You're mother died saving you Cyrus. You should be proud of it, not show resentment towards your mother for saving you. And not snap on your Dad like that because you should remember, you were not the only one who lost your mother that night. Your Dad lost his wife in that accident too."

"Your Dad will never put the blame on you for your mother's death. It was your mother's last sacrifice and you should accept it that it was her choice. To not save herself but instead save something more important and greater than her own life ; you."

"Make her sacrifice count then."

"You've become one of my best friends Cyrus. I wish we'd had gotten to know each other more sooner but then life does not offer you wishes whenever you throw a penny in the well. I'm tired Cyrus. Really am. But I think I might still have enough energy to tell you the truth."

"Don't blame me for keeping it a secret. All secrets come out in the end but I wanted people to treat me for who I truly was. Not because of my disease."