Chapter 3: Sandbridge Road

Emrys King

I was driving for quite some time and it was starting to get a little dark. I'd learnt that the Sandbridge beach was less popular compared to the main Virginia Beach resort strip located a few miles to its north. Good. I thought. Lesser people meant lesser publicity. I'd been driving on the Sandbridge road for a few hours now, the only entrance to Sandbridge beach and finally stumbled upon the sign board which said, "Sandbridge Beach." The sign board was made up of stone and had some dents to it. It needed a little bit of painting to it and then it would look just fine. I'd rented a condo for myself a few months earlier only since it was hard to find a place to stay here at Sandbridge beach due to the absence of hotels.

My manager had initially rejected my proposal. My parents were worried about me. My sisters were trying their best to help me in the way they thought they could with what I was going through. Nobody knew what phase in my life I was going through. Even I didn't. They need not know about this. Because even if they knew, there was nothing they could do to help me. It was me who had to get myself off this pit. Life after all didn't provide you with the rope to pull yourself off the pit. You had to find other ways. But right now all I needed was some peace. Or so I thought. So I'd cancelled my last tour and packed my bags to come here alone at this beach and find some peace. I honestly didn't know what I was searching for.

I'd been stressed a lot lately because of my music career which was threatening to go to its edge. I knew I needed some time for myself since I'd lately been doing so many tours across the world. Now it was time for me to sit and wait for a bit. The world could wait a little longer for me now. All I had to do was muster the untouched strength I had before in me to go up to stage and perform my songs. I'd done it before. I could do it now also. My songs said a lot about me than I intended too. But now my songs were becoming less popular and losing its charm. I needed to focus again and start from the beginning. And this time I knew that I would have to come up with a much better and soulful song than before. A song worth listening to. The one that could touch the hearts of millions of people and synchronize with what they were feeling. But the thing was I didn't know where to start. Every time I'd try to write down some words and sentences for a song, I couldn't feel the same happy vibes and charm I used to get when writing songs like this before. It's like the words simply didn't come to me. I'd wreck my head trying to find some new words, new phrases, new tunes to add to my new song. Something that would make my song sound a thousand times better. But I'd be back to square one; crumpled sheets of paper in the trash.

What I didn't know was this; I had it all in me, from the start. I just had to get away for a while to be able to stand up to my feet again and perform. And this time I knew I'd never fall again because there was someone else who'd teach me not to.