Continuation of the mystery bridge

Pennsylvania

Becky Magnum

I opened my phone to see a text message from Ava. Ava was studying at UC Berkeley much to the shock of everyone.

"Semesters ending!!! Be back soon. Wait for me okay!"

I texted back immediately.

"Reached here today. Will be waiting."

I looked at the scrap book lying open on my book.

I picked it up and flipped through its pages to find Tansy's section.

I smiled.

I picked up the photo we had taken when we had first gone skating with Emrys.

There I was in the picture, smiling goofily with my friends. Tansy and Ava were hugging each other, smiling into the camera as Emrys took the picture.

I picked up the next picture Ava had taken of us as Tansy and I stood beside Emrys, who was in the middle making the peace sign, posing stylishly as we rested our elbows on his shoulders.

I put the photos aside when an envelope from the scrapbook fell down on the floor.

I picked it up and pulled out the letter which contained my best friend's greatest secrets. I brought the letter close to my heart and remembered the promise I had made to my best friend. Tansy had gone great lengths to cover her secret up and now it was my turn to safeguard her secrets.

Especially from one person.

This was my promise to her.

Sandbridge Beach

One year later

Mr. Peterson opened the family safe for the first time after so many months. He had to pay the hospital bills and he was going to visit his son.

Emrys King

I left the bouquet of red tulips on the bench next to a bouquet of white tulips someone else had also left behind, before me.

I smiled.

She was here.

I could feel it. In the mists the ocean sprayed on his face, in the sand he walked on and in the ocean herself as she called out to me.

I sat down on the edge of the pier.

I dangled my feet from the edge, looking up at the stars, knowing that somewhere, she too was looking up,at the Little Valley in the sky.