Rest at last - Rylyn

"Hey, love," Rye whispers, sitting down on the sofa next to me. His hand rests on my thigh, making me smile weakly.

"I take it she went to sleep?" I ask, and he nods. I chuckle softly. "That's a first."

He sigh and shakes his head. "I knew it was going to be hard...but I never knew it would be this hard." He smiles tiredly at me. "But I don't regret it in the least."

I lean into him, and he puts his arm around me, resting us against the back of the couch.

"I love you," I tell him. He runs his hand up and down my arm.

"I love you, Brooky. More than you'll ever know." He presses a kiss to my temple before leaning into me even further.

Suddenly, there's the sound of our baby girl crying from the next room. I sigh.

"I'll go get her. Stay here." I start to get up, but Rye takes hold of my wrist and I look back at him.

"No, baby I'll do it. Get some rest, I'll deal with her. I'm not really that tired anyways." I shake my head.

"Rye, you held her for nine months. Let it be even, I'll go put her back down." I rest my hand briefly on his stomach, then press a kiss to his hair and to his lips, hating how exhausted he looks. How the dark bags underneath his eyes are visible even in the darkness of night.

I go to the next room, taking baby Annabelle into my arms and bouncing around the room gently. I make small noises, trying to calm her down. She continues to cry for a little while, but eventually starts to settle in my arms. I press my lips to her head, smiling fondly at her. Although she's kept us up for days, I love her more than anything.

I decide to take her with me into the living room, planning on taking Rye back to the bedroom so we can go to sleep with Anna. It's the only thing I can think to do. But the moment I enter the room, I can tell that that won't happen.

Rye's chin has fallen to his chest and small snores come from his lips. His entire body has gone limp. I smile adoringly, shaking my head.

"Not that tired, my ass...oh, baby." I sit down next to him and rest Annabelle in my lap, supporting her head with my arm and wrapping the other around Rye.

He makes a small noise and lifts his head, looking blearily at me. I know that he wouldn't have woken up that easily before Anna.

"I'm sorry I fell asleep, Brooky. What can I help with?"

I shake my head.

"Shut up and go to sleep, baby. You need it." I move Anna so that she's in between us, so that both Rye and I can hold her. I watch Rye as he smiles fondly at her, and I kiss his cheek, ruffling his hair.

"I love you, sweetheart."

He looks up to me, then rests his head on my shoulder.

"I love you, Brooky."

We fall asleep like that, his head slipping to my chest, my arm around him, both of us cradling our child to us like she's our world.

Maybe it's because she is.

———

Sorry this one is so short, but I've had it written for a while and I think it's kinda cute. I also haven't posted in a while, so I figured I might.

My bus was cancelled to school today, so WHOOP WHOOP!!! Hope you guys all have a great day!

Whats everyone's favourite cover/original by RT and why? Mine is probably the Evolution of Boybands, it's just so well done in every way. And TTH, of course.

I love you, stay safe.

- A