A long day

Andy

"I'm looking after my cousin again this afternoon, so I can't do studio..." I run my fingers through my hair, stressed.

"But we've got to get it done! You have to be at the meeting this morning. How can we..." Rye trails off, clearly trying to figure out a way that this will work. He knows there's no backing out of being with my cousin, especially since I haven't seen her in ages.

Sonny comes into the room and takes an apple from the bowl, taking a bite before asking, "what's up?"

Rye quickly explains the situation and we go back to silence.

"What if Andy went to the studio now and did his takes...I'm sure no one would mind if you were a few minutes late."

Rye and I both look at Sonny. This meeting is crucial.

"It's the best plan we've got," he says in reply to our expressions. I purse my lips.

"He's right," I tell Rye. "I'll go out now, do my parts and then I'll meet you guys there." I let out a sigh. It's going to be a long day.

:::

As it turns out, recording didn't take too long so I'm barely late at all. I walk in just as the Alphadog team finished greeting each other, so I say a quick hello and sit beside Rye.

"How was it?" He whispers as the others talk.

"Really good...I got all of my parts done, including my harmonies." We'd agreed that if I didn't have time, Rye could do my harmonies instead.

He looks impressed. "Must be having a good day then."

We start paying attention to the meeting, putting in ideas from time to time.

The moment we're done, I head out of the building. I didn't think the meeting would go that late...I have to pick Lily up by two. It's already 1:45.

Thankfully, I don't hit too many red lights on the way to my aunt's house. She smiles as she sees me, pulling me into a hug.

"Just on time," she laughs.

"Sorry, my meeting ran late. I got here as soon as I could."

She waves her hand dismissively. "It's alright. Now, Lily usually goes to sleep around eight, but if she wants to stay up later, it's fine. Your uncle and I have to go now though, it takes a long time to get there, you know."

I nod. "Alright, have fun. Ill take care of her, do you want me to keep her for tomorrow as well? It wouldn't be an issue."

"It's okay, we can do it. She's usually quiet in the mornings anyways. We'll pick her up tomorrow."

I nod and give her another short hug. Lily appears at my side and takes my hand as her mum gets into the passenger seat of the car. My aunt waves and we both wave back, Lily giggling. When they've left the driveway and turned down the next street, I kneel down next to Lily.

"Wow, look how tall you are!" She laughs and jumps up to make herself taller. "How old are you now?"

"Five!" She replies proudly. I ruffle her hair and take her hand, leading her to my car. She hops up in the back, where I'd already put in the car seat. I do her belt up and close her door. The drive back to our house is short, but she's already making me laugh with stories about her friends at school.

When we arrive, she gasps and starts running around the yard, her long brown hair dancing behind her. I chase after her, both of us laughing like maniacs.

"I'm gonna get you!" I call after her and she shakes her head.

"Nope!" She yells back. When she starts going around the tennis courts, I wait until she's more than halfway around and go the other way, making her scream and giggle. I catch her quickly, wrapping her in both my arms and collapsing on the pavement. I tickle her and she laughs like crazy.