7

"Well, I said the king's private room, not the king's office but whatever. Are you ok now?" the earl said instead.

"He recognize me.." she said quietly.

"He did. A pity that. I hope that Prince Seth propose to you quickly" the earl look at her with probing eyes.

"Prince Seth offered me to be his mistress" she whispered, looking down at her clasp hands.

There was a moment of silence then the earl cleared his throat.

"A mistress..." he said quietly, looking at her with probing eyes, then he took a deep breathe. "You agreed" he continued.

She finally look at him with tears in her eyes. Pleading for understanding.

"He will protect you as long as he wants you. But for how long? That we don't know. What are you gonna do then?" the earl foretold seriously.

"I'll do everything so he won't get tired of me" she said in a small voice, heart breaking all over again cause she knows the earl is right.

"Everyone has expiration unless you make him fall in love with you and eventually marry you" the earl lean back on the chair without looking away.

"Fall in love... with me? Prince Seth?" she shake her head in denial. "I'm no one. A prince can never fall in love with a penniless orphan"

"You make him sound like he's a snob" the earl commented. "As far as I know, nobody in the royal family is a snob. They're arrogant and sarcastic but never a snob"

"I didn't mean it like that..." she sigh, looking at the fireplace.

The earl did not answer her but got up and stand beside the fireplace facing her.

"What's the plan?" he asked.

She swallowed, understanding what he's asking. Not able to look him in the eye.

"He said that he wants me to go Canada. He have a ranch there. We will not see each other until I'm old enough.." she stop, twisting her hands nervously.

"Old enough?" the earl prompted when she did not continue immediately.

"Two years. He will visit me there after two years but he said that from today onward I'm already his. He will protect and provide for me..." she said in a daze then again she stop and look up to see what's the earl reaction to that.

The earl is looking at her with a slight frown on his brow.

"Protect you. That's the only thing I can approve of with all this" he finally said quietly.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Jack. I have to do this, no, I want to do this" she amended.

"You're still young and we still have time. We can find someone for you..." he stop when she shake her head.

"I want no other" she said, determined.

The earl look at her for a long time, assessing. She meet his gaze, decision final.

"I can't protect you anymore after the Prince gets tired of you. Every man will look at you like fair game. And with that reputation, when everyone found out who you are, no one will lift a hand to help out" the earl pointed out.

She flinch with that but already made a decision.

"I don't care. Atleast I experience what it was like to be happy. To be free"

"Even if you know that it will end eventually?" the earl ask carefully.

"Even then" she whispered, looking away.

There was a moment silent until finally the earl took a deep breathe and walk towards her.

"Then it's decided" he said, crouching down so they're face to face.

"Thank you, Uncle Jack" she choked then hug him.

"Your mother and father are probably cursing at me now wherever they are. But you have to live your life and find happiness" the earl said, patting her shoulder awkwardly.

She laugh a little then let him go.

"I have to tell you something, Uncle"

"What is it now?" he asked with a grimace.

"He doesn't want anyone to know about me, about us..." she confess with a sad smile. "He said that if his cousins found out he will never live it down"

"Let me add that being a bastard is one of their qualities" the earl said with suppress anger, standing up.

"Who's being a bastard?" a voice said from the door.

They both look at the door where a couple is standing.

"Your Highness" the earl greeted, standing straight and give a deep bow.

Serina stand up and curtsy then let her uncle introduce them.

"Your highness, this is my niece, Serina" the earl introduces.

Serina again curtsy but did not say anything. The couple did not make a move to enter the room but stay at the door.

Serina knows Prince Kurt. He's the guitarist of the famous Boy Band called "Immortals". She tried not to stare but what can she do? She's a fan.

"We're so sorry for disturbing you. We thought the room is empty" Blaze apologizes with a small smile.

"No. No, it's ok. We're done talking anyway" the earl console her immediately.

"So, who was the bastard you're talking about?" Prince Kurt asked.

"Of course, you don't have to answer that. It's not our business" Blaze immediately contradicted when Serina and the earl pales.

"It's not?" the prince ask looking at Blaze with raise brow.

"No" Blaze confirm then give Serina a friendly smile which she returns.

"So, we can now use the room" the prince tone is not asking but telling.

"Of course, of course" her uncle readily agreed and escort her out of the room.

The couple made a room for them to exit. Serina and Blaze both give each other a shy smile.

"That's so arrogant of you! Can you not be so authoritative once in your life?" they still heard Blaze said before the door close.

The earl guided her in the ballroom which a door away from the throne room.

"Who is she?" Serina whispered when they reach the crowded ballroom.

"I don't like repeating rumors but I guess you need to know who is who. The rumor said she's Prince Kurt's lover. No one is sure since they never confirm or denied it. They're just always together. It wouldn't hurt if you befriend her though. She can be a valuable friend" the earl explained, giving her a look that said it wasn't a request but an order.

She gave a hesitant smile.

The night went well after that. They never encounter any of the royal family or the duke or even Lady Jewel. It made Serina sad cause she was hoping she can see Seth atleast in the distance for the last time before she go.