Chapter Fifty Two

"Jamie? What happened?"

Ellie sat down next to me, with her back against the wall next to the front door, and put her arm around me. I couldn't force myself to speak, so I just rested my head on Ellie's shoulder, and cried.

"Come on, let's go inside. You're freezing," she said softly, and stood up.

I stood up, and walked into the house, and went straight upstairs. The music turned off, and I heard Ellie telling everybody that they would need to leave.

I lay in my bed, and tried to stop myself from crying. Ellie joined me a few minutes later, and wiped my eyes with the sleeve of her jumper.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I cried for a few more minutes, before explaining what had happened.

"She was drunk, Jay," she said, "when she's sober, she'll be back here, and you two can talk this out properly."

"What if she doesn't come back?" I asked, and my stomach turned. I hadn't known Alex for a very long time, but now I couldn't imagine my life without her. What if I never saw her again? What if she hated me? My questions brought the tears back.

"She will definitely be back, Jay. She's crazy about you."

"I love her so much, Ellie. What if I've fucked it up?" I cried.

"I promise you, she'll be back. Honestly, maybe she's just mad because she knows you're right."

"You think it was Damien?" I asked.

"I think it's a lot more likely than anyone else I can think of. I mean, she was happy enough to question Adam when you knew it wasn't him. She just needs time to think about it."

I hoped that she was right.

"Now, get some sleep," she ordered.

"Okay. Thanks, Ellie."

Ellie got up and left me alone to sleep. I tried to sleep, but found myself crying again. It was so strange without Alex. I had become accustomed to sleeping with her in my arms, and listening to her breathing as I dozed off.

She had been gone for less than an hour, and I missed her. I needed her next to me. I needed her to kiss me goodnight, and tell me she loved me. If this is how it felt after an hour, I would hate to imagine how it would feel if she didn't want to be with me anymore.

My heart ached.

~~~~

"Jamie?" Ellie's voice woke me.

"Hey," I mumbled, as I sat up in bed.

"How're you feeling?" she asked. Instead of answering, I just took my phone from Alex's side of the bed to check if she had called.

"Anything?" Ellie asked. I just shook my head. "Give her time, Jay. She'll call."

"I'm gonna take a shower," I said.

"Okay. We're going out for breakfast with Rach after, so hurry up."

"I don't feel like-"

"It wasn't a question, Jay. You need to eat. We'll be downstairs when you're ready." She said, and I just gave a weak smile, before going to take a shower.

I joined Ellie and Rach in the living room when I was ready. I tried to call Alex after my shower, but got no answer.

"You ready?" Rach asked.

"Yeah, let's go eat," I said, wearing my best fake smile.

Ellie drove us to McDonald's in the car that I bought for her. We ate quickly, but stayed there for a while, drinking coffee. Rach and Ellie tried to distract me from Alex by having the most random conversation ever, but I didn't pay attention to any of it.

"Can you take me to see Damien?" I asked Ellie.

"What?" She asked, surprised by my request.

"Who's Damien?" Rach asked.

"Alex's dad," I replied, and Rachel frowned in response.

"Jay, I don't think it's a good idea," Ellie said.

"I need to speak to him."

"But what if it is him, Jay?" Ellie asked, "What if he tries to hurt you?"

"I'm not meeting him in some dark alley, I want to walk into his office, and ask him if it was him."

"And you think he's gonna tell you, if it was him?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know Rach. I have no idea what to do. But yesterday, I told the love of my life that I thought her dad tried to kill me. If I'm wrong, I need to know now so that I can sort this out, before I lose her forever," I said, fighting back the tears.

"I'll take you, Jay. But we're coming with you," Ellie agreed, and I nodded.

Once we finished our coffees, Ellie drove us to Damien's office. I felt myself getting more and more nervous as we got closer. I knew it was a bad idea, and I tried to talk myself out of it before we got there.

"Are you sure about this?" Ellie asked, once she parked the car.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I lied.

We all got out of the car, and walked into the office building. I stared at the large blue and green sign that read 'Ryles Media', behind the desk in the reception. An attractive woman sat in front of the sign, typing away on a computer.

"Hello," I said nervously, getting the blonde woman's attention, "I'm here to see Mr Ryles."

"Do you have an appointment?" She asked, giving me a disapproving look.

"No, but it's important," I responded.

"Mr Ryles is busy right now. You'll have to make an appointment. I have one available next Tuesday."

"I need to see him now. Tell him Jamie Collins is here to see him. I'll wait," I said sternly.

The receptionist rolled her eyes, before calling Damien to give him the message.

"Third floor, room Eight," she said, after hanging up the phone.

Ellie, Rachel and I took the stairs, and we were all exhausted by the time we got up there.

"We need to calm down on the McDonald's," Rachel said, trying to catch her breath. I laughed nervously, while looking for room eight.

When I found it, I knocked loudly, and the door opened immediately.

"What can I do for you, Miss Collins?"