Chapter Fifty Eight

"Alex, wake up!"

Tammy's voice startled me, and I sat up quickly, and pushed myself against the wall. Alex had the same reaction, and sat next to me, panting.

"I'm sorry," Tammy said softly, "I just wanted to show you something."

Alex looked up to meet her stare, and her eyes were wide. She looked terrified.

"Look, please."

Tammy had a small wooden box next to her, and picked it up, then set it down in front of Alex. She started to pull photographs out of the box.

"This is when we went to Italy, remember?" She asked, holding up a photo of her and Alex, they were standing in front of the leaning tower of Pisa. They looked happy.

"I remember," Alex replied.

"And this one's from graduation. Here's your eighteenth birthday," she said, pulling out more photos. "I have hundreds. And look, here's all of our train tickets. You remember? We used to put them up on the wall in my room?"

Alex just nodded.

"I just thought I'd show them to you. We used to be so happy," Tammy said, hoping that the photos would make Alex fall in love with her again.

"Tammy... I need to use the bathroom," I said.

She looked at me, and looked nervous for a moment. I wondered what she was hiding outside the room we were in. Hopefully, now would be my chance to find out.

"Take a look at them, while I take Jamie to the bathroom," she said to Alex, and I felt relieved that she was actually allowing me to go.

Tammy stood up, and pulled the gun out of the pocket of her hoodie.

"Don't do anything stupid," she said, and gestured for me to stand up.

I pulled myself to my feet, and walked towards the door, keeping my eye on Tammy and the gun. She opened the door for me, and walked out first. As soon as I was out of the room, she locked the door again, so that Alex wouldn't escape.

I was disappointed to find that we were just in a hallway. There were no windows that could help me figure out where we were, just four more black, wooden doors along the corridor. I walked slowly, with Tammy in tow.

One of the doors was open, and I managed to look inside as we walked past, without Tammy noticing. The room was pretty empty too, from what I could see. There was a bed, and a table, which had a computer on it. I could see Alex on the screen, which meant that, that was where Tammy was watching us from.

"You've got two minutes," Tammy said, grabbing my arm, and stopping me at one of the doors.

I quickly used the toilet, and washed my hands and face. There were no windows in the bathroom either.

"Come on, Collins!" Tammy ordered, banging on the door.

I walked back out to the hallway, and walked back to the room we came from. Tammy unlocked the door. Alex wasn't sitting where she was before, and I saw the alarm on Tammy's face.

"Alex?" she pushed me into the room, and followed me in.

She slammed the door shut behind her, and spun around. Her head collided with a shelf from the bookshelf with a crack. Alex had been hiding behind the door.

Tammy yelled out in pain, and fell to the floor. Her gun bounced along the ground, and I jumped to grab it. Before I could reach it, my leg gave way and I tumbled to the ground. A searing pain shot through my calf.

"Jamie!" Alex shouted, running over to me. I looked up, and saw that Tammy was kneeling on the ground, holding her gun, and a small knife that had my blood dripping from it.

"Why did you do that? You stupid bitch!" She screamed at Alex, before getting to her feet. She left the room, rubbing her head, where Alex had hit her with the shelf.

"Where the fuck was she hiding the knife?" I asked Alex, breathing heavily.

"She took it out of her pocket, I think it was one of those fold up ones," Alex cried, looking at my leg. I flinched as she touched near the cut with her finger.

"It's not deep," I said, inspecting my wound.

She moved over to the box in the corner, and took one of the bottles of water. She took off her hoodie, and her t-shirt, before putting her hoodie back on. She poured some water on the cut, and then tied her shirt tightly around it.

"I'm so sorry, baby," she said, hugging me.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked. "None of this is your fault."

"It's all my fault. It's my psycho ex that's doing this to us, and if I hadn't lead her on for so long, none of this would be happening to you."

"You don't know that, this could have happened even if you hadn't seen her since you broke up. She's obviously not fucking normal," I said, but Alex looked ashamed. "Psycho ex or no psycho ex, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

She looked up into my eyes, and I could swear I saw an actual smile play on her lips. She was all red and sweaty, her face looked sticky from all the tears left on her cheeks, but she was the most beautiful person in the world.

I kissed her softly, and she kissed me back. Our lips moved slowly. It wasn't a heated kiss, loaded with sexual tension, like our usual kisses. This was a kiss of pure love, and despite the fact that we were being held captive by her maniac ex lover, it was perfect.