Chapter Sixty One

Alex let out an ear-piercing scream when she heard the gun shot. I'm not sure what she saw, or how it looked.

Tammy's body lay lifeless on top of me.

I could feel that my clothes were soaked with her blood. My hand was still wrapped around hers, which was still holding the gun.

The tears spilled from my eyes, as I stared at the dim light bulb above me. I couldn't bring myself to move.

"Jamie?" Alex sobbed, seeing that I was okay. It felt like I had been lying there for hours, but in reality, it had only been a few seconds since the gun was fired.

I didn't answer her, I just kept crying.

"Baby, are you hurt?" She asked, when I didn't respond. She was kneeling next to me now, pushing Tammy's body off me.

I helped her push her off me, stood up, and looked into Alex's eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I cried. I didn't know what else to say.

"No, no, no, no. Don't you say sorry," she demanded and put her arms around my waist. I reached my arms around her neck, and squeezed her tight. "It's over now, baby. We're safe."

Alex had stopped crying, and was trying to calm me down. We were both in shock, and my whole body was violently shaking.

"We need to call the police," she said, and pulled away from me. She saw Tammy's phone on the floor, and picked it up.

Before she had time to call the police, we heard banging coming from the hallway. We both headed for the door to see what was happening, but were met in the doorway by a police officer. Alex's plan worked. The police were a little late, but all the same, it worked.

"Over here!" The officer shouted to his colleague, who joined him within seconds.

The policemen stood in the doorway, staring in disbelief. Alex and I were stood in front of them, covered in blood, and there was a dead body, and a gun, on the ground beside us.

"Turn around and face the wall," one officer instructed, while the other called for help. I'm guessing they just thought this was a break in or something.

Alex and I both turned to face the wall, without arguing. I knew that everything that happened in that room was recorded. Once they saw the video, they would know that we did nothing wrong. Plus, I didn't have the energy to argue.

The police men handcuffed us both, and led us out of the room. We walked slowly, and the hallway seemed to go on for miles. We walked past the room where Tammy was watching us, and past the bathroom. We were taken through the last door in the hallway, which was the stairs.

As we neared the bottom of the stairs, several more police officers passed us. Each and every one of them stared at us, as if we were criminals. I didn't take offence though, I knew how it looked.

We were put into the back of a police car, and driven to the police station. Once we got there, they separated us, and I was taken to some kind of interrogation room.

I waited alone for almost two hours, before I was joined by a man, who I would have guessed was in his late fifties.

"I'm officer Fitch, I'd like to take your statement now, if that suits you," he said. I assumed they'd already watched the video, or at least, the last part of it.

I told officer Fitch everything. Everything relevant that I could remember since Alex got the first text, while we were in Paris. He wrote everything down, and asked a few questions. He didn't need to ask many though, as I talked non-stop for almost an hour, giving as much detail as I could.

"Okay, I think that's everything," he said, looking over the statement. "We're gonna put you in touch with the local psychology department at the hospital. Hopefully, they'll be able to fit you in, over the next couple of days."

"I don't want to see a therapist. I want to see my girlfriend, and I want to go home," I replied.

He nodded, and stood up.

"Okay then, follow me. Your friends are waiting for you."

I followed him, eagerly, out of the interrogation room, and down a narrow corridor. He took me into a room where Ellie, Rach, and Alex were.

Ellie was closest to the door, so she jumped on me as soon as I got in there. Rach hugged me next, and then Alex. Officer Fitch explained that they would be in touch if they had any more questions, then took us to the reception of the police station.

"Alex!"

We all turned to see Damien sitting on one of the chairs in the waiting room.

"Dad?" She said, confused.

He walked up to her, and put his arms around her. Alex looked uncomfortable. I guessed Damien wasn't usually the hugging type.

"I'm so glad you're alright," he said, "and I'm so sorry for everything."

"Dad, I'm tired. I need to go home. Call me, okay?"

"Okay," he replied, "I'll call you tomorrow."

He kissed her on the top of her head, and she walked away from him. We all started walking towards Ellie's car.

"Jamie!"

I turned back around to face Damien. I didn't really care what he had to say, I just wanted to get home.

"Thank you, for what you did," he said, and I was surprised.

I just nodded briefly, then walked away and got into Ellie's car.

Nobody spoke on the way home. I guessed that Alex had filled Ellie and Rach in on the details, while I was giving my statement.

"There had better not be a welcome home party waiting," I said, as Ellie typed in the code on our stupid gate.

Ellie and Rach laughed, and I saw Alex smile for the first time in ages. I took her hand, and squeezed it gently.

"Are you hungry?" Rach asked us. We both shook our heads.

When we got inside the house, Alex and I both went upstairs and showered immediately in our separate bathrooms. When I came out of the shower, I found Alex lying on my bed. I put on some pyjamas, and joined her.

I wrapped my arms around her, and we both fell asleep within minutes.