part fifty six

The grandfather clock down the hall struck eleven.

Sonara as if was shaken out of a slumber. She had been sitting unperturbed on the bed for how long, she herself didn't know.

Humaira's wail struck her ears.
The baby must be extremely hungry.
Sonara took her in her lap, and began feeding her to pacify.

Unknowingly, tears trickled down her eyes.

She was a complete failure as a mother.

Who knew, if she hadn't run away that night from her husband's place, the beast in him would have disappeared forever with his own daughter in his arms?
Who knew, seeing a father love her child, she would have melted for him as well?

What good was she doing to her daughter anyway?
She was always on the runs, from here, to there, to somewhere else...to nowehere....mostly protecting herself from devastations...
How much time did she really have in hand to pose as a good mother, to grant her child, a good life? 

Humaira was slowly passing into  sleep, still clinging on to her mother.

Sonara wiped off her tears. She didn't mean to stir the baby up again. She kept holding her close to her chest, though feeding no more.

Humaira was everything she had now. And the soul purpose of her life was to provide her no chance to complain.....that she snatched a father from her, who could at least provide her all the love she deserved.

Sonara couldn't contain anymore.
She cried with sound now. And Humaira stirred but didn't wake up.

Life was miserable.
Life was the toughest exam she had ever faced.

Why was Allah testing her so much?
HE knew, she could trust absolutely no one on earth. Not even her fate.

Then why did HE put her in situations, when she couldn't take a step forward to either sides?

A man, she wouldn't trust.
But Maya.....maybe she would...

And her child, of course deserved all happinesses in life, more than she herself.

But, over and above everything,

What did Maya want? 

Just a secure future for Sonara? 

Or.........

Did her crooked brain want Sonara out of Jai Prakash Raichand's life, as soon as possible? 

Sonara shut her eyes tight.

Never on earth, had she been so confused about her point of existence.

____

Sonara slowly walked out of her room.

There was no water, and strangely no one had even come around to ask.

She was thirsty beyond question, otherwise she did not even want to step out of the room any sooner.
Only to face Maya again.

Because she was in a mess.

She had no strength mustered right now, because either of a 'Yes' or a 'No' on her part, required immense courage.

She was herself surprised at the lack of strength she was facing these days.

The woman who had struggled alone even while pregnant, without ever wavering between two stands, was today caught in a web.

A web called......love.

Love for her child on one hand, and on the other.... 

She stopped thinking again. Her heart was pacing like a horse.