part fourteen

Sonara slowly walked from her room to Kanta's, so engrossed in thoughts that it seemed she was walking miles. She still held the phone in hand.

He said a yes without a second thought! 

Sonara knocked on Kanta's door. Chhaya aunty opened and smiled. Sonara got in.

" Called him? " , Kanta's room now had Zohra and Dolly as well.

Sonara nodded thoughtfully.

Zohra teased,
" Waah Waah! Irshaad Irshaad! The owner of Rangruchi is coming to a chawl for dinner. If Sonara shifts to Dharabi tomorrow, he'll go there as well!
Turu Lubh!

Good enough, for us." , she winked at the others.

Laughter strike.
Sonara stood calmly near the door till the laughter subsided.

And then firmly announced,
" He won't come.

A mere acquaintant does not come to slums for dinner.

Better, if you people stop going overboard. "

She thumped out leaving behind pumpkin faces.

Sonara decided she would call him tomorrow. And fabricate some excuse of a change in plan till then.

She could not knowingly let him into some ploy. She dearly loved Kanta Di, but if these womenfolk planned something that harmed Jai, it would just be too bad on her part making their plans successful.

'Such emotional money men are big cows... '

She didn't get, while on one hand Kanta di held so much respect for him, on the other she's planning to exploit him whatsoever!!

Sonara knew, she would never make a meaning out of mankind.

She walked to the wing of the chawl that housed families. Today the men workers were having an extra shift.

Sonara knocked onto a door. A woman opened. Sonara didn't know her name but had seen her often, around the chawl. Sonara smiled.

" Bablu....is he home? "

The woman said nothing, only nodded.

" Ermm... If you don't mind, can I talk to him once? "

The woman went inside.
Bablu came out after sometime.

" Hi Sona didi! "

" Hi Bablu, how was your exam today? "

" Very easy questions. " , he grinned.

" Good. Actually I came for a private talk with you. Will you please keep it to you and me? "

" Sure " , he moved away from his door, " Tell! "

" The video you made that day, of that bhaiyaa beating Chhetri's son, do you still have it in your phone? "

" Of course! You need it? "

" No.... " , Sonara looked around, " actually I was thinking, the video might be edited/muted etc...against him..something like 'he was mercilessly beating someone without reason'...

And can be used to milk money from him, if it falls into some bad hands.

I... I don't want that to happen. "

Bablu slowly nodded. This fifteen year old kid was extremely smart.

" Okay" , he brought out the phone from his pocket. " Here, I delete it. "

" Wait, transfer the original to me. It should remain somewhere. "

Sonara watched the video being deleted from his phone, after receiving one for herself, and breathed a sigh of relief.