part ninety nine

Twelve in the afternoon.

Maya and Farhan had left sometimes back. Sonara sat unmindfully for a long time in the lounge, drifting off to things unknown.

She noticed Humaira climb down the stairs, and paying no attention to her, walk of to the kitchen.

Sonara got up.

Following her, she went and stood at the door to the exquisitely large kitchen.

Humaira was still in her night gown and flip flops, her hair shabby and her face a bit swollen. She was sharing some talks with the head chef, at the end of which he exited past Sonara, throwing a bow and a light smile at her. She reciprocated.

Humaira glanced at her mother through the corner of her eyes.

Sonara slowly walked upto her.

She was making herself Lassi.
She stirred curd in a glass, adding stuffs.

" Won't you have breakfast? " , Sonara asked.

Humaira consciously stirred faster than usual. Then unwillingly said,
" This is my breakfast. "

" This little won't do." , Sonara spoke again.

" I'm not feeling very well. " , Humaira said..after sometime, walking past her to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of cold water out.

Sonara inched closer to wherever she went.
" Shall I make you a very light upma?
It's ideal for times when sick. "

Humaira stopped, and disturbedly glanced at her mother.
" Our chefs are capable enough. If I had to eat I would ask them. "

" Why are you making Lassi... yourself, then? " , Sonara smirked.

Humaira pressed her lips. And gulped in a few sips.

" I just wish to. Sometimes they add more sugar...so that it tastes good, but it's bad for health. "

" So, do you love cooking? " , Sonara just wanted to talk to her daughter, by any means.

Humaira rested herself against the counter.
Staring at her mother, she shrugged.
" I actually do. I don't get much time but....  "

She immediately turned, to put the bottle back in the fridge. As if, trying to end the conversation as soon as possible.

" But, you do come to the kitchen when you get time.

Do you make dishes to your Dadda? " , Sonara was nowhere close to an end. This was just the beginning.

Humaira nodded a no forcefully.

She had, many a times, he specially loved when she cooked for him on vacations. But she lied because she did not like to converse regarding him at the moment, with her.

In fact, she was so confused with this woman's stand in her life right now, that a talk with her was making her weak at mind and heart.

" You don't wanna share with me.
Right? " , Sonara said.

Humaira frowned more, still facing the kitchen.

Suddenly, Sonara's fingers hit on something on the counter.

" Ouch! " , she shrieked through the impact.

Humaira immediately turned.

A knife kept unorganised on the counter had bored through Sonara's skin, making it bleed.

" Ophho! " , Humaira ran to her, holding her finger with utmost care.

She spontaneously pulled her to the washbasin, threw open the tap, and held the finger under running cold water.