part ninety two

Jai spent a lot of time putting a weeping Humaira to sleep. He was afraid that she might collapse again like the previous day, so he did not leave her side for a minute, rather kept carressing her hair while she shut her eyes tight. Soon after, she fell asleep. This always worked. Her Dadda's affection could calm her beyond anything.

Jai did not eat, because Humaira had fallen asleep having nothing. While he was too afraid to wake her up, he couldn't have a bite knowing she didn't.

Now at seven in the morning, he sat on an easy chair, while Som stood talking on the phone. He had spent the night with Jai, despite his million pleads to return home.

" Bhoomi wants to talk to you. " , he put forward the phone. Jai received it.

" Hey, Jai!

Everything will be fine, she's here finally. Isn't that the biggest thing? I'll be back from Chicago, in a day or two. Will talk to Humaira as well. You, stay strong. "

Jai listened with a soft smile on his face.

Som took back the phone.

Maya sat at a distance, chopping papaya.

" Som, have these. Why are you starving? " , she walked to him with the plate, he grinned and took some.
" I'm used to. I have skipped so many dinners during peak work pressure." , Som replied.

Jai's blood pressure had raised to 140/90 at five in the morning.
Som had checked and took advice from a doctor he knew, and called Maya. She reached in an hour.

Now, after gulping a tablet Jai was alright. But looked heavily tired.

" Jai...

I think you should meet Sonara. " , Maya said, while tucking papaya pieces between her brother's lips.

Jai stared at the floor.

" Exactly.

Ayaan is not as stubborn as it looked. I believe so now, according to the conversation they had. He'll understand, and can soon be convinced.

And our Humi is a bit vulnerable, but she's a darling. She too will understand soon.

It's the best that Jai meets Sonara. They need each other. " , Som reciprocated.

Maya slowly nodded, but her eyes were fixed on Jai.

" What do you think, brother? "

Jai remained silent. Utterly silent.

_____

Jai was forced to stay back home by Maya today.

She was concerned about his rising blood pressure, and said he needed time to question himself about the next step. Plus, staying around Humaira was desirable, while if Ayaan came before him and talked things that would hurt, he could not take it. Hence, he needed a break.

Jai found it convincing, and also, he mostly wanted to give into Maya. The way she dominated him like a mother, felt very good to him.
Aging had made him realise, that the more a family took decisions for someone, the more was the love seeded within.

Jai stood in the middle of his bedroom, at six in the evening, thinking nothing in particular. Humaira was in her room.

They had shared light talks throughout the day, not once did she bring up Sonara and Ayaan, mostly deliberately.

Jai felt movements behind him.
He turned.

Raghav Raichand had walked in, and was staring at him.