31

-Toby-

I let Mel braid my hair. I hoped it would calm her down and keep her occupied. While she braided my hair and hummed softly to a song, I texted Ryan.

Ryan, it's Toby. We are currently in Canberra right now. We're going to move farther from Melbourne later today. Please let me know you're safe.

"We should gather our shit, get breakfast, and head out." I said softly. Melody didn't say anything, just continued to braid my hair.

Mason stirred and sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Has anyone heard from Matt or Jay?"

"No." I shook my head. Melody mumbled about how I was going to mess up her masterpiece.

"I'll text them." Mason pulled out his phone and texted Jay.

When Melody was finally done, she took of a picture of her work and showed me. I smiled and pecked her lips.

"MonkaS, dude, I'm hungry. Can we get something to eat? Please?" Mason whined like a child.

I nodded and got up, gathering our stuff. "Mason, keep an eye in her. I'm going to take this to the car."

The three of us eventually gathered into the car and I returned the room key to the check out desk. I got into the drivers side and drove us to the nearest diner.

I texted Matt, telling him where we were in case he was on his way back.

We ate in silence. Melody was tired and upset. Mason was still recovering from his dad's death. I just didn't know what to say.

I needed to end this somehow. My friends and girlfriend needed their lives back in order. I needed my life back in order. I didn't know how to do so, but I wasn't going to give up until Melody was happy and safe again.

If I had to sacrifice myself for Melody, I would. But that was a last resort. I was going to so everything else in my power to get shit back together before I would even think of sacrificing myself.

I held Melody's hand and rubbed my thumb over her knuckles. "I promise you, my love, I will get this figured out and taken care of." Even if it kills me.

Melody nodded, smiling a little bit. I smiled back and kissed her hand. I leaned back in the leather seat of the diner booth and looked up at the ceiling.

"Mace, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"I just want to go home to my own bed. I want to play Fortnite with Jay and bug Melody to take me to the store. I want to record the podcast and get high with Eric." Mason sighed.

"We will, soon. I promise." I told him. I meant it, too. I wasn't going to stop until everything was normal again, no matter the cost.