71

-Toby-

I sat with Mel and watched over Jay. He was sleeping soundly, the steady beat of his heart coming through the monitor.

"We need to head back soon to take down the last two." I sighed.

"I want to stay here with Jay." Mel said tiredly.

"Luna will. You should go see her or Matt. They.. They broke up." I held her close to me, as if doing so would keep her from ever leaving me.

"What? Why?" She asked, squirming from my grip to look at me.

"I'll give you a hint. It has to do with someone in this room." I said bitterly. I felt bad for Matt.

Melody sighed and nodded. "I'll go talk to them in a few minutes." I held her close, playing with her hair.

"Please don't ever leave me." I muttered, kissing the top of her head.

"Never." She said with a small smile. She leaned up and kissed me lovingly. I kissed back, until I heard a quiet 'Gross!'

"You're awake." I smiled to Jay. He nodded slowly, looking around.

"What happened?" He asked.

"You were stabbed, but Luna killed your doppelgänger and I restarted your heart while the paramedics took you here. You're okay." I explained.

"I want to see Luna." He frowned. I nodded, taking Melody's hands and leaving with her. As we sat down back by the others, I told Luna to go see Jay. She obliged, but almost robotically.

"I'm getting hungry." Mason whined softly.

"Let's go get some food for everyone." Mel said. I nodded and followed her to the hospital's food court. We found some decent food for the others and brought it back.

"Toby, Eric and I are going to go back to the house and finish this. That way, when Jay gets out, he can come home." Cam told me as I handed him his food.

"We are coming with you." My girlfriend protested.

"Mel, you've been through enough." I sighed.

She shook her head. "They were there for us. We have to be there for them."

"Alright." I agreed. "But let's just wait it out another hour or so. We can eat and get our energy back. Then we can end this nightmare."

Melody snuggled close to me, eating and playing on her phone. After a while, she dozed off against my chest. I held her close, watching as Cam's head fell against her shoulder as he, too, nodded out for a bit. I snapped a photo and leaned back, getting as comfy as I could.

I hoped we'd never have to be back to a hospital again.