T r e s

It would be rude of me to say no to my professor, you just don't decline this. So I was faced to walk to my nightmare.

I about tripped down the stairs of the lecture hall where I was heading to the middle and center to meet up to my professor.

I started picking at my hangnails (a nervous habit I have).

This cannot be happening, my professor is using me as an example and my teeth are awful and I'm going to be judged.

All my classmates are going to see my awful teeth.

I also had coffee this morning, my teeth will be stained too, oh no, I'm definitely going to be getting a lecture.

I finally made it to the bottom and was only feet away from Dr. Clemens.

He made eye contact with me, but I immediately shot down my eyes to my feet.

I walk over to the dentist chair and let a deep breath before sitting on it.

I can do this. 

I can do this. 

I'm studying to become a dentist. 

Uncle Kevin has prepared you for this. 

You're fine. 

Believe in yourself.

I kept on sending myself words of encouragement while preparing for the worst.

Dr. Clemens started rambling about cleanings and so forth. He then begins to explain that he will  go over a basic dental check-up, but on me. Great.

Dr. Clemens stops talking and turns around from facing his other students to facing me.

I can't believe this is happening.

"Ready?" Dr. Clemens asked enthusiastically, but I just cautiously nodded my head.

He reclined the dentist chair down to make it a 180 degree angle and tied a mask around his face, while snapping on a pair of gloves.

He wore a camera and microphone on a headband on top of his head to project what's happening on a screen so that the class can see. So that the class can see my terrible teeth.

"Open." He said politely, so that he can show us proper, kind dentist etiquette.

I slowly opened my mouth, just enough for his to examine my mouth, since I didn't want him to be disappointed that I didn't know the basics of a check up.

Dr. Clemens continued to talk while he examined my mouth. I closed my eyes and tried to keep a straight face, but it was kind of difficult becuase I was so scared but I did not want to look like a wuss in front of my professor. 

He was tapping every tooth with his explorer, and I could feel him getting exceptionally close to one tooth. I've had a cavity for at least a month, now, that I've been trying to hide. I didn't want to have to pay a visit to my Uncle.

I think he noticed when I cringed when he got to the tooth right before the one with the cavity because he hesitated and stopped.

I shot my eyes open to see him look at me curiously.

He took off his camera headband and pulled down his face mask.

Oh no, he knows.

He leans near my ear and whispers, only so that the other students can't hear,

"How long have you had that cavity for?"

I looked away, anywhere from his gaze.

I heard him sigh and say, "After class."