Chapter 8

After my vision we had sat down to eat at the table. It was annoying to be looked at every ten seconds so I was glad when Shmi came back and started a conversation. Although the conversation wasn't exactly what I had been hoping for, it was something.

"All slaves have a transmitter placed inside their bodies somewhere." She explains to us, pouring our drinks. I smile at her thankfully.

"I've been working on a scanner to try and locate mine." Ani chimes in.

"Any attempt to escape-" his mother begins to explain again but Anakin interrupts her.

"And they blow you up! Boom!" He slams his hand down on the table and I jump, still jumpy because of my vision.

"How wude." Jar Jar states and a smile plays on my lips as I roll my eyes. Shmi comes and sits next to me in her place, on my other side was Qui- Gon.

"I can't believe there's still slavery in the galaxy. The Republic's antislavery laws-" Padmé starts and I shake my head at her.

"The Republic doesn't exist out here. We must survive on our own." Shmi clarifies to her and I look back down at my plate, only to be startled when Jar Jar's tongue shoots out and snatches a fruit from the bowl. I shriek quietly and jump in my seat.

We all look towards him and he sinks down slightly in his seat.

"Xcuse me." He mutters and we turn back to the conversation, only to find it was silent again.

"Has anybody ever seen a pod race?" Ani asks, breaking the silence. I let out a puff of air in relief and shook my head like Padmé.

"They have podracing on Malastare. Very fast, very dangerous." Qui- Gon replies and puts a fruit in his mouth.

"I'm the only human who can do it." Anakin states and I smile slightly, poking at my food.

"You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods.......don't do that again." Qui- Gon catches Jar Jar's tongue and speaks to him sharply. I squeal out in surprise and grip my necklace, slowly relaxing again. Ani plays with his silverware then looks up at Qui- Gon, his eyes flitting between us. I braved myself for the question that was coming.

"You two are Jedi knights aren't you?" He asks us and I shrug indifferently and lower my eyes to my plate while everyone falls silent.

"What makes you think that?" Qui- Gon finally replies and I raise my eyes from the 'oh so interesting' table. Ani's eyes wander and he catches mine. I purse my lips and nod my head to Qui- Gon, signaling for him to answer.

"I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi's carry that kind of weapon. And Holly called you Master Qui- Gon." He says confidently and I smile, leaning back in my chair.

"Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him." Qui- Gon tries to fool Ani but it doesn't work.

"I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi." He retaliates and I smile at him sadly, recalling all the deaths in that would happen in order 66.

"If only that was true Anakin. And you are correct, except that I'm not a knight, not yet at least. I'm just a Padawan, and my master is far away." I explain to him, and slump my shoulders, thinking of Yoda. Padmé and Shmi look at me concerned as I fall into silence and play with my hands as Ani describes his dream.

"I dreamed I was a Jedi. I came back here and freed all the slaves. Have you come to free us?" He perks up but I shake my head sadly, still in thoughts about my master.

"No, I'm afraid not." Qui- Gon puts down his drink. Ani narrows his eyes, suspicious.

"I think you have. Why else would you be here?" He questions and looks around at us. I try to avoid his curious eyes and instead play with my necklace.