Chapter:27

I know this is a short chapter. But do enjoy..

********

"You know that? You know that Jeremy never did anything like….???" it was Coltrane who said those words glaring at her coldly. He remembers that time quite clearly. Jeremy was in a serious state of depression his mother told him it would have been better if he died before coming to this world while throwing  him out of the house.

Catherine  froze hearing Coltrane's words. Jeremy's words ring in her head.

"I remember what you said, it would have been better if I died before coming to this world" 

Coltrane knows he will never do anything to hurt Catherine more than anyone.

When she said that she could have proved that Jeremy was the victim in this case. He felt something, something he never thought that he is capable of feeling towards her at least.

He felt anger which was directed towards her. 

"Why didn't you clear his name when you could?" Coltrane asked her.

"I wanted to protect him," Catherine whispered.

"Protect him? Who the hell are you to protect him? Do you have any freaking idea that your protection could have cost him his life?" Coltrane yelled. Cassandra's eyes widened and Catherine gasped.

"W.. What do you mean?" Catherine asked paled even more her hand shakily held on to the bed to keep her up. Remembering Jeremy's word.

"Say in the past after everything happened if I successfully died would you regret it?"

"Coltrane" Cassandra warned him.He flinched but his eyes still on Catherine filled with hurt, seeing that Cassandra made her sit down properly on her bed. But Coltrane's next words make them numb.

"He tried to kill himself" those words chilled the room. Cassandra looked down when Coltrane  looked at her for a brief moment. She knows how it feels to struggle just to give a reason to live. To think why you need to breathe every moment. Catherine closed her eyes, her face paled from the lack of blood. 

Coltrane rubbed his face. He still remembers seeing Jeremy's lifeless body which he found in his room. The moment Jane threw him out Jeremy's depression fell over them as a dread but that was not the last stroke it was something else Coltrane knew.

Jeremy was hopeful that day as if he prayed some miracle would happen. But when he returned his eyes were listless. Jeremy told him that he is going to rest. But when he went to his room to call Jeremy for dinner everything fell apart. 

Jeremy who was always strong even in the dark days where he went on hungry without telling Coltrane anything tried to take his own life. His best friend who is always their, taking care of him lost his will to fight anymore. 

Catherine felt her body grow cold hearing those words. No she wanted to scream, Jeremy will never try to kill himself. He is strong, stronger than anyone she ever met.

"You are lying" those tear filled eyes looked at him brokenly but Jeremy's word rang in her head as a reminder.

"Say in the past after everything happened if I successfully died would you regret it?"

Coltrane closed his eyes, "I'm not"

Catherine knows Coltrane is not lying. She choked as tears fell  from her eyes. She always felt guilty but now it was something else. Her eyes closed as she breathed harder. Cassandra pulled her closer hugging her. Rubbing her back. She was as shocked as her.