Chapter 41

-Alex

We've been driving for about a half hour and April won't stop asking where we are going. I don't want to tell her because I want her to be surprised. I try to distract her by asking how her clients are but all she says is, 'that's breaching confidentiality.' Which I guess is true but I just need her to stop asking where we are going. I pull into a parking lot and turn to face her. 

"You need to put this blind fold on." I hand her the blindfold and she looks at me with shock.  

"I've seen this movie. You're going to kill me aren't you?"       

I laugh, "If I was going to kill you, I wouldn't tell you. Now put it on." I place it in her lap and she looks at me sternly. "Please." I add, she sighs and puts it on. I get out of the car and go to help her get out as well.    

"If I die, I'm coming back to haunt you!" She threatens.          

"Just listen to what I'm saying Apricot." I whisper in her ear and hear her breathe out, hard.

We start walking for a couple minutes then she picks up on the noise.     

"Why is it so loud?" I don't respond. I keep walking with y hand around her waist and eventually stand still.    

"You ready?" I ask and she nods. "3, 2, 1...Open your eyes."

She gasps immediately and takes in the sight of the Jet in front of her. 

"Did you buy me a Jet?" She gasps again and I laugh.      

"No, not exactly." I clear my throat. "We're going to Paris. For the day."  I smile but she doesn't smile back.       

"Alexander this is too much. Paris,France? Today? In a Jet? You know we could've gone by train"

"Train takes too long. Plus we are only going for the day." 

"I thought we agreed this date was just being 'wined and dined'." She makes speech marks with her fingers.   

 "You didn't specify that we have to stay in London." I state. "Let's go, we have things to do." I smirk and grab her arm while I walk up the steps. 

We get inside and sit on chairs facing one another.   

"Good afternoon Mr Reed, would you like something to drink?" The flight attendant asks, I shake my head and she walks away.        

"This isn't normal Alexander." April says while looking out of the window.   

"What isn't normal." I ask.             

"Friends don't do this." She looks at me this time. I frown slightly.       

"I'm 28 years old April. I don't plan on getting to know any other woman but you. Plus I think we both deserve this."       

"You're my best friend." She says, "Don't start something that has to end." She closes her eyes and we get ready for lift off.

My phone starts getting notifications after being in the air for an hour. I look to see who it is and it's a group chat. Me,Chris and Easton.

CHRIS: Xander I went to your office but your assistant said your flying... to France?

EASTON: How are you going to another country so quickly. I literally just saw you at mum and dads.

ME: Flying with April.

CHRIS:I knew you guys would get together!

EASTON: April's with you?

CHRIS: I was shocked Cass and E got together before you and April.

EASTON: Kiss my arse Christian.

CHRIS: I think Cass beat me to it.

How are they adults?          

ME: We aren't together now will you both leave me alone.

ME: Who even made this group chat?  

EASTON: Chris.

ME: Why?

CHRIS: Because we could have guy talk about whoever you were flying to France with.   

ME: Guy talk?

EASTON: How am I the youngest?

CHRIS: You know friends don't just fly to France for fun.

ME: Yes they do.

EASTON: I have to agree with Chris brother, friends like you and April don't do that.

CHRIS: Why don't you make a move? In France of all places. It'll be like a movie. 

ME: How am I supposed to make a move?

CHRIS: You're Alexander Reed.

ME: Being Alexander Reed doesn't mean anything to her.

EASTON: Tell her how you really feel, she needs to hear it loud and clear in order to believe it. But you need to remember everything she's gone through and remember she isn't like the sluts that you used to hook up with. Once you've put your feelings out there depending on how she reacts you either take it slow or take a step back. As her friend I know she likes you too. You guys act like a married couple anyway. Just don't hurt her, or I'll strangle you with your expensive tie. Kay?   

CHRIS: Easton?

EASTON: Oh sorry is Cassidy, Easton is peeing.

CHRIS: Right...

ME: Thank you Cassidy.

EASTON: Of course. She deserves happiness again. I think you do too.

I switch my phone off. 'I think you do too'? Does Cassidy know about me and Gwendolyn? April would never say anything so it must've been Easton. Honestly I don't mind, Gwendolyn is the last person on my mind these days. I look over at April who's smiling peacefully in her sleep.

Universe I'm asking you please, if we have a moment tonight, can you not ruin it.

I'm talking to the universe... I've lost my man card.