Chapter 46

We actually didn't leave. Hermione stopped when we were almost to the gate.

"There is someone watching us."

"It's nothing," Harry said. He looked around.

"Yeah, if it was a death eater, we would've been dead by now," I agreed. We walked on. We were still all checking behind our backs to see if anyone was there. No one was.

We neared a pub. People were singing and having fun. I was about to suggest we stay the night there, but Hermione pulled me and Harry over.

"Let's go this way," she pulled us down a dark road. Cottages rowed the dark lane. There was woods at the end. I studied these houses with curiosity. How must it be to live in these peaceful houses. I came to a stop when I saw a certain house. It was a dark mass. Harry and Hermione came to look at what I was looking house. Hermione noticed what I was looking at first.

"Hallie-"

"Look.... Look at if," I said. The hedges in the front had grown wildly. There was waist high grass. In the grass, there was some parts of the house. Most of the cottage was standing, though covered in dark ivy and snow. The right side on the top floor had been blown apart. I was sure that was where the curse backfired.

"I wonder why no one has rebuilt it," Hermione whispered.

"Maybe because that ruins from dark magic don't heal like scars do," I suggested. While Hermione contemplated about that, Harry and I moved forward. Hermione snapped out of her thoughts when I reached out to open the gate.

"Hallie! You're not going inside right? It looks very unsafe, I mean it might- Oh! Harry, Hallie! Look!"

When I touched the gate a sign came out of the ground. The tangled vines broke when it came up. In golden letters it said:

ON THIS SPOT, ON THE NIGHT OCTOBER 31, 1981, LILY AND JAMES POTTER LOST THIER LIVES. THIER TWINS, HALLIE AND HARRY, REMAINS THE ONLY WITCH AND WIZARD TO HAVE EVER SURVIVED THE KILLING CURSE. THIS HOUSE, INVISIBLE TO MUGGLES, HAS BEEN LEFT IN ITS RUINED STATE AS A MONUMENT TO THE POTTERS AND AS A REMINDER OF THE VIOLENCE THAT TORE APART THIER FAMILY.

I leaned on Harry, once more. I heard a shuffle. We turned around to see a silhouette of a little old woman walking towards us. We watched for what seemed like years. I was waiting for her to turn to a cottage, but for some reason I knew she wouldn't. Eventually she stopped a few yards from us. I knew she wasn't a muggle. She was staring at the house, according to the sign, was not visible to humans. And a little old lady like that wouldn't be out on Christmas night, in only a dress. Harry stepped forward, even though Hermione and I tried to pull him back.

"Are you Bathilda?" he asked. Te woman nodded and beckoned forward. I gave a tiny nervous nod. We stepped forward, and she hobbled off, occasional turning around and beckoning. We followed.