Chapter 5 - Sweet Smile

🥝💜🥝

DIANA'S POV

It's almost midnight but I just found myself standing in front of the door of Veronica's condo unit in Makati. I swallow thickly as I preen my hair, composing myself first before lifting my hand up to press on the doorbell.

My friends and I went to a music bar in BGC this evening and I had a few drinks so this tipsiness is making me nervous for some reason. I texted her to come with us but I didn't get any reply...

Maybe I'm guilty of ignoring her lately and I kind of have this urge to make it up to her.

I am certain that she's still awake. She used to call me at around two in the morning just to talk about the most random and weirdest things. I haven't seen her for like a week already as I got really busy when David got back from Australia. I am mostly doing the cooking and the general chores for him and his girlfriend whenever I don't have castings and shootings to attend to so yeah, I'm basically their "mom" in the house.

I press on the doorbell again and hear a rustling noise from the inside moments later. I can feel her presence nearing the door and I held my breath when it finally swung open.

Her eyes grew wide upon seeing me, obviously surprised at my sudden presence. She immediately recovers and gives me a small smile while consciously raking a hand through her shoulder-length hair.

Veronica always looked like she smells sweet, which she actually does. Her cheeks are rosy and she has these pearly whites between her lips everytime she smiles... in which she seldom does. She has this cute yet snobbish vibes in her but her demeanor is slightly tomboyish—unless she's on her beauty queen persona.

I quickly scan her form; a large black shirt and blue plaid shorts. She's not yet on her pajamas so I guess she's not yet up for sleeping.

"Hey..." Her voice sounds so soft and raw. It's just a single word but I felt like it has scraped at my heart.

"C-can I come in?" I don't know why I stuttered.

"Of course! Of course..." She opens the door wider and beckons for me to come inside.

"Sorry for coming over this late. Did I wake you up?" My voice wavers with tension.

Her forehead wrinkles as she stares at me like I just threw the strangest question out. "Chill out, Stranger. You're acting weird. Is something wrong?"

I bow my head down and slowly shake my head while smiling. "Nothing. I just need you."

She steps forward, gently grabs my chin and lifts my head up to see my face again. She places both of her palms on my cheeks as tenderly as she could and looks straight into my eyes.

"I miss you, Dee..."

The sound was barely above a whisper and the sparkle in her eyes made my knees shiver.

"I miss you too..." I caress her hand, the one that is resting on my cheek.

"I'm sorry if I was a little bit preoccupied this week..."

"It's okay, Dee. I'm fine," she reassures me as she rests her forehead against mine. I close my eyes and sigh as I embrace this little moment of ours.

"How was the party? Sorry for not replying... I wasn't in the mood." she mumbles in a very soft voice while lovingly grazing my cheek with her thumb.

"Weird without you,"

She was all in my mind the entire night. I mean, I feel like I owe her something...Or maybe I am just not used to her absence during night-outs?