Chapter 41 - Sisters-in-Law

🥝💜🥝

FRANKI'S POV

"Boom clap! The sound of my heart! The beat goes on and on and on and on and — Ahhh!" My singing is replaced by a scream when a car suddenly crosses in front of ours and turns left to head in the opposite lane. 

"Brat, look out!" David exclaims at his sister, who got distracted as it seems as she didn't notice the traffic lights turning red.

Diana gasps as she instantaneously hit the brakes out of reflex, successfully stopping the car at the last second before she can run the red light and get a penalty ticket.

"Whoa!" I roar into relief, slightly panting. "That was scary! What a near-death experience!"

"What has gotten into you, Diana? Jesus," David rakes a hand through his hair as he starts to reprimand his sister. My attention is then caught when the backseat window of the first car from the other side that we almost crashed into slides down and a foreign-looking woman's head pops out, only to give us the middle finger sign. She might be around my age, with her slightly curly, long hair and tanned skin.

"Learn how to watch on the road next time, bitches!"

I crane my neck backward as I watch her exclaim in a thick accent, her loud voice echoing from the distance as the car, which I assume is from Grab, speeds up on the opposite lane and disappears out of our sight.

"Oh my gosh, did you see that, Dee? She's so baztoz! (rude)" I pout my lips while folding my arms in front of my chest. It was a near-death experience for both cars but she managed to throw us that finger. How infuriating! 

"You should stop distracting me, Franki." Diana sternly says with her now steely eyes focused on the road this time even though we're on a Stop. 

"What do you mean? What did I do? I was just sing—" I pause when I realize what I have done. I was singing my heart out for her and she could have been watching me. I suddenly feel embarrassed when I imagined myself singing and dancing with the music.

Is she mad at me?

"Stop the car, Diana. Let me drive this time," David grumpily insists. He's seriously making it sound like we're all going to die if Diana will continue driving.

What with the sudden mood change of everyone?!

"Don't start it, Dave," Diana answers back in a low tone. The car is again filled with tension and I'm scared. 

I try to catch Sky's eyes from the rearview mirror to urge him to break the ice, 

"Guys, chill. It's your mommy's birthday today. Good vibes lang."

"We would have been safer if I were behind the wheel," David grumbles under his breath.

"Oh, so you have amnesia now? What happened to your Vios last year?" Diana claps back, which made me uneasier. 

"Don't get started with me, Diana." David leans forward in a challenging tone.

Oh my God, are they serious?!

I twist back and give David a reassuring smile, "Baby, cut it off. It's fine. Nothing happened."

"I just got distracted." Diana again inserts with a meaningful tone which made me glance at her in disbelief. Is she really serious about this? 

"So you're really pointing out that it was my fault?" I finally snap at her. I can't help it. I mean, why are they making a big deal out of this?

Diana seems to have been taken aback at the raise of my voice. Her facial expression softens as she turns to me and says, "Forget about it, Franki. Let's move on."