Two Can Play a Game

And as he bends down to pick the one on the floor, for the second time in roughly a day, his heart skips a beat and limbs turn cold....

He slowly picks up the paper and then looks at all the papers scattered around him. Then it strikes Dec...and everything comes back to him...he sits on his bed and stares at those papers open-mouthed.

He then joins every piece of the puzzle and a smile grows on his face

Damn it! That's it!! That is the reason! Why didn't I think that before!! I am stupid!! Damn it, I am... So that's your game, is it? If that's so, then I will teach you once and for all....that two can play a game...

Dec looks around and his heart clenches in his chest he picks each paper all the while thinking about the changes in Ant

Oh God, this guy, did he think I will mistake his friendship for something else? Was he embarrassed??! Oh my, did someone say something to him? Holly said the whole college ship us. Wait, did my brothers...

Dec has seen the curiosity in their eyes and the way Martin had observed them confirmed his suspicions. And so did the utmost disappointment of his family regarding Ant's date - plans

Damn! Did they ask him something...no, they are not that brave, or maybe they did, or maybe he heard something... wait, so the date? Did he force himself for that? Maybe it's to make me realise he is not interested in me...maybe he thinks I may fall for him..no, he certainly doesn't think that, will he?

Wait, then why would he hide these and why... Oh no, I am so clueless. That's why he didn't sleep with me that day, that's why he tensed when I hugged him the other time we went home...he is afraid that he is misleading me? maybe my brothers did say something...so that date...no wonder he wasn't interested in that... I am gonna kill him for using her like that...you idiot Mcpartlin!! You could have told me these...then what was this whole drama of not liking and loving and all? Yesterday he was so caring and-

WAIT for A MINUTE!! Andrew!! Of course Andrew! Ant is afraid of Andrew... afraid of him hurting me...wait, no, what if he really meant what he said...but all these...these are the proof that he does like me and does care about me....oh Anth...I am going to get it out of you. I am going to prove that you like me and trust me...more than anything I going to make you realise that you cannot hide anything from me that easily...not even yourself.

You acted so well Anth...now it's my turn... I know you were lying to me. I know you like me...if these don't say that, nothing else will..

Because scattered around him and along the room are several sketches of Dec! Laughing, smiling, pouting, raging...or sometimes just staring ahead with a slight smile on his face...and the one he is holding, the one that was in the top of that stack, showed his broken face, longing and despair evident on it... the white, clean drawing sheet filled with charcoal marks... bits of eraser... and marks of several - dried out - teardrops...

Anth....two can play a game...

He picked all those up, dragged their table to the middle and kept them back to their usual place..

*************************

Ant returned to the hostel, a few minutes later and found Dec fast asleep. Their table seemed out of its usual place but he didn't give much thought to that. His thoughts were all about Dec and the broken form of his once best friend - his best friend.