That Lawyer

Late on the Friday night, Jon had decided to go down the lounge area. He was fed up of seeing only the four walls in his room, and to prepare for the weekend ahead, and the hard few weeks that were upon him, he decided a change of scenery would be good whilst he recapped on everything he had to.

For some reason, he kept thinking about the maid that he'd not been able to catch her name from. For some reason, when he was talking to her, he found himself actually wanting to talk to her, and perhaps that was shame on him for thinking that he couldn't talk to her. She was beautiful, and he couldn't get her face out of his head, especially when she would bite down on her plump lip whenever she awkwardly said something she didn't mean to.

But he had so much more to focus on. It was a big case coming up at the weekend, and he knew that he had to switch the whole thing around to make sure his client got a lesser sentence, or even if possible, no sentence at all.

"Can I get you anything?"

Jon looked up and saw the Latina receptionist standing by his table, smiling to her pleasantly. He enjoyed the attention, and clearly she did too.

"I'm fine." Jon smiled, watching as Nadine sat down across from him, ignoring the fact she was supposed to be working. Jon didn't mind. She was a pretty woman, and that wasn't something he was foreign to.

"So what is it you do? I see you leave really early in the morning, and arrive back late at night." She smiled, "I'm nosey. I get into trouble for it all the time." She waved her hand as he nodded, figuring that out for himself.

"Well, if you must know… I'm a lawyer." He said as her eyes lit up. The word lawyer to her meant money and nothing else, and although he appreciated someone with their eyes set on wealth, he didn't appreciate gold-diggers.

"What kind of lawyer?" She smiled across to him.

"Criminal." Jon said, "I work at a firm back in Chicago. I'm here for a trial for one of my clients." He explained to her, "And it might be a few weeks which is why I booked for six weeks. Could end up being more… or less, depending on how it goes." He said as she nodded.

"So do you defend murderers and rapists?" She asked, intrigued, as most people normally were.

"Yeah, to an extent I guess." Jon nodded.

"Even when they're guilty?" She asked.

"Well I can't discuss past business with you." Jon explained, "I defend my clients based on the evidence they give me." He said professionally as she just nodded.

"So, during these next few weeks, are you gonna be too busy to go for a drink one night?" She wondered with a smile. It was hard not to find him attractive. The minute he checked into his room she had her eyes on him, and as Sage and Cass would say, she was a very desperate and needy woman who loved to be told what she wanted to hear.

"Would you believe me if I said yes." Jon said as she frowned, "I… I don't drink anyway. I wouldn't be much company."

"You don't drink?" Nadine asked surprised, a man with his exterior looked like he drunk whiskey and smoked expensive cigars.

"No." Jon said, "Why? Is that shocking?" He laughed a little.

"No. Well… your job must be stressful. Do you not… need something to take the edge off?" She asked.

"Maybe. But I don't use alcohol. Or drugs." He cared to add in as she nodded, "If the work is too tough then get out. That's what I say." He shrugged.

"So your case starts tomorrow?" Nadine asked.

"Yeah. I thought I'd come down here and… change the scene up a little. Look over some final things." He pointed to his paperwork on the table as she nodded.