Well Kept Secret

"I heard you went for lunch today." Jon said, later that night after getting home, finding Sage laying on the couch studying with some of her books out in front of her, the fire on and the TV playing some random crime documentary. The difference between coming home to nothing, to coming home to a warm house with his beautiful girlfriend, it was amazing, and the house actually did feel like a home.

"I did." Sage smiled, "How did you know?" She asked him, taking her reading glasses off and sitting them over on the coffee table as she closed some of her books while he took his tie off and unbuttoned the top of his shirt.

"Renee texted me." Jon said.

"Yeah, she was waiting outside my university with Bella. She didn't have my number otherwise she said she would have text me beforehand." She said, "It was nice of her to do that." She smiled. She was still smiling over her lunch with Renee. For Renee to take time out of her day to think about inviting her with them for lunch had made her day, and her and Renee had a great lunch.

"I thought you two would get along." Jon nodded, crashing down beside her, "Once you got to spend some time together." He said, "She could be a bad influence on you, though." He said as Sage laughed and nudged him playfully.

"She actually really loves you." Sage said.

"I'm only playing." Jon said, "I'm glad you had a nice day." He said, placing his hand on her thigh as she smiled, leaning over and kissing the side of his head.

"How was your day?" She asked, throwing her books on the coffee table. She'd done most of the work she had to for the night.

"I don't even know." Jon shook his head as Sage turned to him, "Can't believe it really."

"Why? What happened?" Sage asked with concern.

"My client... he knew... well he knew of my parents." Jon said as Sage raised her eyebrows, "They're dead." Jon nodded.

"Oh my Gosh." Sage shook her head, "Jonathan, I'm so sorry." She shook her head, not knowing what to say, taking his hand in hers as she turned her body to face him, resting her side to the back of the couch as she played with his hand in hers.

"I'm fine." Jon assured her, but Sage wasn't convinced.

"How... How did they die? Both of them?" Sage shook her head. She knew his parents were young.

"My dad was killed and... my mom killed herself after it." Jon said as Sage squeezed his hand a little tighter, "They left because of mom's drug debt but... whoever was after them must have caught them in time." He shook his head, "Dad was killed and then mom overdosed on pills."

"Jon, I don't know what to say." Sage shook her head sadly, cupping his cheek softly, "I'm so sorry. I know you weren't close at all but... you can still hurt." She nodded.

"I didn't know it was so bad." Jon shook his head, "They must have hidden a lot from me." He nodded, "My mom was even selling herself because of it." He said as Sage frowned.

"They just... they took a wrong turn. So much pressure at that age especially when they had a kid." Sage shook her head, "But that's no excuse for them losing their lives. There are... bad people out there." She nodded, sinking down and curling into him. She didn't want him to feel alone.