The Cool Down

Jon got home later that night after taking a detour to his mothers. Emotions were running high and he felt bad for storming out, and he also felt bad for being so verbally aggressive. He never wanted that, but his anger and emotions got the better of him. It wasn't something he could take so lightly. This was a baby. Their baby.

He walked through the door and into the living room where Sage was lying up on the couch watching TV in the darkness. He switched on a few of the lamps in the corners to give some light as Sage watched him. She was afraid he wasn't going to come back.

"What are you watching?" Jon asked her, looking over at the TV.

"I don't know." Sage shook her head truthfully. She had just been laying thinking to herself for the past few hours. Her mind was spinning, and she assumed he was coming back to tell her that this wasn't going to work, that they wanted different things and he couldn't forgive her for lying to him. She immediately thought the worst.

"Can we talk?" He asked her, walking over and sitting down on the couch as she curled her legs up to give him space, slowly but surely sitting up, "Talk. Not… Not shout." Jon nodded as she hugged her knees and looked over to him.

"I am sorry." She told him, "I didn't do it to hurt you. Surely you don't think that." She said.

"I know you didn't." Jon nodded, "But… keeping it from me wasn't gonna benefit anyone. It… It wasn't going to make it go away." He said, "And the fact you were scared to tell me makes me think you… you thought I would leave you or walk out on you." He said, "Is that what you thought?"

"No." Sage shook her head, "I don't know what I thought." She sighed, "I know you're so busy with work. You're out of town sometimes. You barely have time to see me so… I… I thought you'd feel like this was just another burden." She shrugged.

"I wouldn't think that." Jon shook his head, "I don't think you're a burden and I don't think this baby is either." He said, "I'm still… trying to wrap my head around it. It's a lot to process but… I'm gonna be there, one hundred percent." He nodded to her as she smiled, "And you shouldn't be afraid. You shouldn't be afraid of telling me anything, and you shouldn't be afraid of having the baby either, because you'll be great." He nodded to her, "And there will be time to still do what you want to do. I will happily stay here with the kid while you're at university." He nodded as she smiled to herself.

"It's just so soon." Sage took a deep breath as Jon nodded.

"I know." Jon nodded "I know it's a surprise but… we'll deal with it and we'll be ok. That's the main thing." He said as Sage nodded along with him, "I'm sorry for getting angry there." He said, "I shouldn't have lost it like that and… I wasn't… I wasn't trying to hurt you. I was just upset you didn't tell me sooner."

"I would have but it's just been so crazy." She said, "I still can't believe it." She shook her head.

"Me neither." Jon nodded, playing with his hands as he looked down, "But you don't have to be so scared. We'll be fine." He said, "Dean and Renee were exactly like this, they were terrified and they didn't know what to do and now they're like… the best mom and dad ever." He said as Sage smiled, "No one is gonna prepare us. Ever. Not now. Not in ten year's time." He said.

"That's what Renee said." Sage nodded.

"That's what I told her when she came to me when she was pregnant." Jon smiled, "Must have stuck with her." He said.