Storm

Two weeks had gone by and the trial that Jonathan was so feverishly working on had eventually come up. It had been nothing but late nights and early mornings for the remaining two weeks, and he couldn't have been gladder to see the day that the trial began. He knew what he had done, paying someone to testify, was illegal and criminal, but he was also very desperate. He needed it to kick start the trial, or else he didn't know how it would go. He hadn't told Sage yet even though he'd had plenty of chances. He just couldn't bring himself to do it. He figured she was better off just not knowing.

Sage had been working away and attending her classes at university. Things seemed to have got a little easier at work. It was almost like her confrontation with Laura had settled in her favour. She only wished she'd stood up to her earlier on, but she still felt like the bigger and better person regardless.

Jon was still trying to adjust to the revelation of his parent's death, and the fact his mother knew all along, but the matter had seemed to resolve itself and he could never be mad at the woman who took him in and gave him a stable home, more stable than his real parents could have ever given him. He was just trying to get used to it.

Sage knew Jon was going to be working long hours for the next few weeks or however long the trial was running for, depending on what went on in court. She missed him dearly but they still got time together.

She was currently sitting at the kitchen table writing an essay with her books sprawled across the table. Milo was under the table, afraid of the storm that was brewing outside, resting on her feet as she scribbled away on her notebook. Jon had insisted many times that she use his office for the computer and whatever she needed, but she preferred to hand write things and get her information from books.

She was on her fifth page half way down when she heard a knock at the door. She turned to the clock on the oven and wondered who it was going to be at this time of night. She figured it was maybe Grace, whom she was forming a close bond with, or maybe Renee who was getting close to her as well.

She stood up from the table, taking her glasses off and sitting them down as she walked down the hallway and to the door, opening it up as she looked across at the man standing in a suit.

"Hi." Sage shook her head with a little confusion, "Can I help you?" She asked.

"Is Jonathan in?" Lance asked as Sage just shook her head, "I have some things I needed to give him." He said with a sigh.

Sage suddenly felt bad for making him stand out in the rain and wind, and she was also getting wet, so she decided to invite him in, "Come in." She said as Lance walked into the house as she shut the door behind him quickly, "It's miserable out there." She shook her head.

"Yeah." Lance nodded, "Sorry, we've not even been properly introduced yet." He shook his head, "I'm Lance, I'm in the office next to Jonathan's. I've known him for a long time." He extended his hand as Sage forced a smile and nodded.

"Sage." Sage said, shaking his hand.

"Little sister?" Lance asked, even though he knew fine well that it was Jonathan's girlfriend.

"Ha, uh no." Sage said, taking a little offence, "Girlfriend." She corrected as Lance just nodded.

"My apologies." He said, "I really needed to get these things to him and... explain them." He said as Sage looked at him curiously.