Meaningless

Sage got home later that night after her shift at the restaurant. She was tired and ready for bed, but not before she grabbed herself a snack from the kitchen to take upstairs with her. Jonathan had given her a quick call earlier to tell her he had landed and got to his hotel, but he couldn't chat for long since he had to go for a meeting, so he promised he'd call later when he got back to his room.

She made herself a sandwich, grabbed an orange soda from the fridge and headed upstairs with Milo following behind her.

"It's freezing up here." She spoke to Milo, or more so herself as she walked into the bedroom, placing her sandwich and drink down on the bedside table, "Did I leave the window open?" She asked herself, walking to the windows in their large bedroom, knowing fine well she locked them over.

She hummed to herself and shrugged, pulling open the drawers at the dresser to get some pyjamas out, pausing when she heard a long creaking noise from out in the hallway.

She stood up and looked over at the bedroom door. She was constantly conscious of the fact that she really was totally alone in the house. She couldn't assume it was Jon who was making any movement.

She walked over to the door and walked out into the hall, looking over at one of the spare bedrooms door that was opened, the same bedroom which she had thought there was someone in. She walked over to the door, standing at the doorway and noticing the window wide open again.

She placed her arms around her body, hugging herself as she stepped into the room, her heart beating rapidly as she walked over to the window, slamming it shut and locking it as she looked around the room. She knew the simple explanation to it being opened, was that the lock was loose and probably needed fixed as the handle seemed a little stiff, but of course her mind worked over-time and wondered why it just randomly opened.

She checked all of upstairs and found nothing, so she headed back to her bedroom, trying to remove it from her mind as she got into her pyjamas, wrapped her hair up, and got under the covers, switching the TV on and taking her sandwich on her lap just as he phone began to ring, causing her to jump a little.

She moved her sandwich to the side and picked her phone up, smiling as she saw it was her boyfriend, answering it quickly.

"Hey." Sage smiled, sinking down against the pillows.

"Hi." Jon said tiredly, laying on the bed in his hotel room, "How are you?" He asked her.

"I'm ok." Sage nodded, "I just got home from work." She told him, "I'm in bed with a sandwich." She told him.

"Wish I was there." Jon said, "I just got in too." He said.

"How is California?" Sage asked him, keeping her eyes on the door. She knew if she told him about the window he'd sense she was scared and she didn't want him to worry about her.

"It's alright." Jon said, "The good news is, the trial might wrap up quicker than I think." He said, "It's pretty one sided but, I'll see how it goes." He said.

"Don't worry about getting home, Jon." Sage said, "I checked my rota for work. I have three days off at the end of next week, I could come see you then." She said.

"Yeah, I'll get you flights booked." Jon nodded, "You're ok to fly, right?" He wondered.

"Yeah, I'm still early enough." She nodded, "I had brunch with your mom today. She took me out and fed me up." She said as Jon laughed through the phone, "I hope you didn't tell her to keep checking up on me."