Trust

"Is it really always this quiet at night?" Sage whispered, curled into Jon in bed. She knew the right thing for her to do, was probably leave, but she just couldn't bring herself to do so. It didn't help that his arms were around her, making her feel safer than ever.

"Do you expect there to be parties going on?" Jon laughed lightly.

"Well no but… it's just… strange." She said, "It's nice actually." She said. All the time she spent in the hotel, she spent it cleaning and tidying after people, but right now, she felt way more relaxed than she'd ever felt before.

"It is." Jon agreed. He'd never really wanted to stay awake with someone before like this. He normally just wanted to sleep. He wasn't much of a talker, especially the type of talking that happened naked and curled into each other. That type of talking always seemed a lot deeper

"How stressful is it?" Sage asked him, curled into his chest as he looked down at her.

"What?" Jon asked.

"Being a lawyer." Sage said, "Knowing on your conscience that… you've probably helped free a lot of bad people." She nodded.

"I… I try not think about it." He said, "It's a job to me. And I love my job. Persuading people to believe you." He nodded, "It's fun. But… yeah, some of it goes to my head a little." He nodded.

"Can you ever refuse a case if you… if you really don't agree with it?"

"Uh yeah… and I have done plenty of times." Jon said, "But if I know there's decency in the act, even just a hint of it, and if I have enough evidence to work, I take my shot." Jon said.

"Even murderers?" She whispered.

"Yeah." Jon said as Sage gulped.

"Have you always wanted to be a lawyer?" She asked him.

"No, not always." Jon shook his head, "I guess I was kinda troubled as a kid so… I never really thought of what I wanted to do. Being a lawyer, it appealed to me a lot. I was always good at talking… talking shit more so but, I could always persuade people to believe what I want them to. And maybe that's a bad trait but… I used it to my advantage." Jon said, "Pay isn't bad either." He added as she smiled a little.

"Troubled kid?" Sage asked, propping herself up on her elbow as she looked at him.

"Yeah, I guess." Jon nodded, studying her features, trying to figure out if he really wanted to tell her that his own parents didn't even want him, and then he realised he did trust her, "My uh… my parents left when I was ten." Jon said, turning away from her, "They just packed everything up whilst I was out, and they… they never came back." He said as Sage frowned.

"But I thought you…" Sage paused.

"I stayed with my best friend, Dean. I just… I call him my brother because that's what he is, and his mom is the only mom I've ever had." He nodded, "They're my family." He nodded.

"Oh my God." Sage said with surprise. She felt so bad for assuming he was a rich kid with ideal parents, "Why did they leave?" Sage shook her head.

"I don't know." Jon said, "And I never will." He shrugged, "To be honest, it was the best thing that happened to me. My mom was a drug addict and my dad was an alcoholic, in and out of prison. They had me really young." He nodded, "I don't think they were able to look after me from day one." He said as Sage sighed, placing her hand on his arm, "Hey, it's fine." He nodded, "I don't get down about it. Like I said, best thing to happen to me." He told her as she smiled.

"You're brave." She nodded.

"Maybe." He said casually, "We all gotta be brave when it comes to family, don't we?" He shrugged.