Too Late

Jon had gone back to work after the weekend and was getting up to date with more things in his office, having not been assigned to another case just yet, giving him a little breather. Meanwhile Sage was working at the restaurant on a late shift, and just as her shift was finishing, and she was eager to get out of the busy place, she saw Renee walk through the doors, still in her nurse uniform, looking like she'd come straight from a shift.

"Hey." Sage smiled, putting her coat on as she walked around from behind the bar, "What are you doing here?" She asked, not suspecting a thing as Renee just looked across at her.

"You're pregnant." Renee stated simply as Sage's head shot up, gazing across at her without saying anything, not knowing what to say, "Your name was in the computer system and I was making appointments today." She said, "Mandy told me you came in alone." She nodded, "You haven't told him." She said, knowing fine well, not even having to question it.

"It is… It isn't your business." Sage said truthfully.

"He's like a brother to me. You can't keep something like that from him." Renee said, "Or… Or did you tell him and he's not responding to it well? What's the deal?"

"Renee it is none of your business." Sage told her, "I don't have to explain myself to you. It's… Its between me and Jonathan"

"Yeah, although it's not right now is it? It's between you and you right now." Renee said, "How long have you known?"

"It doesn't matter." Sage shook her head.

"How long?" Renee asked again as Sage looked across at her.

"Almost two weeks." Sage said as Renee shook her head.

"Sage, c'mon. The longer you wait the more pissed he's gonna be that you haven't told him." Renee said, "I know it isn't my business but… how long are you gonna wait until you tell him? When you start showing? Will he have to guess to find out?" She shook her head, "What are you afraid of?"

"Everything." Sage said, "He might not want this and I don't want him to stay with me out of pity-"

"Sage, he loves you." Renee shook her head.

"That doesn't mean he's gonna automatically want a baby." Sage said, "And my… my university work. I'm gonna have to… sit a year out to have the baby. I-I know that sounds so selfish but I came here to start a life for myself, to do things for me, and now… now I'm pregnant?" She shook her head.

"It's not the end of the world." Renee assured her, "Believe it or not, you can still have a life with a kid." She said, "You can't keep it a secret from him much longer. He knows there's something not right with you and he's worried that it's your mental health." She said.

"He knows I'm fine." Sage said.

"It's not the point." Renee said, "You're pregnant. Did you consider that he might be over the moon about that?"

"No, because I know he won't." Sage said, "He works constantly. He doesn't have time for a baby. He barely has time for me." She said as Renee looked across at her.

"Does he know that's how you feel?" Renee asked.

"No. I… I tell him it's ok, but he is gone a lot. From… From 6 in the morning until midnight that night." She said, "I'm not… I can't be with a baby all that time by myself."