Chapter 100: Reflection

Paladin's eyes were closed as he again regained consciousness, he could hear the vibrations coming from the ground, vibrations that were from the slamming of the Minotaur's feet. He could hear the roaring of the Great Burning Minotaur as the beast was fighting back against the combined strength of the Royal Military, The Inquisition, and House Athena.

"Reinforcements from House Pyrois have arrived Lady Athena!"

"Get them in a charging formation immediately!"

Paladin kept his eyes closed while the battle against the Great Burning Minotaur was still taking place. All the thoughts that Paladin had tried to keep out from coming inside his head again returned, Paladin unable to stop them anymore. Paladin started to think about what happened to Ashley, Arryn, and Snow. Paladin having flashbacks of seeing Snow violently choked to death, while Ashley was crying and yelling in pain. Paladin then had the flashback of Arryn's neck being ripped horizontally open by the blade of one of the Altum Chaplins of the Icarus Cult.

I can't believe it...not only did the Inquisition fail in its mission but more importantly I failed again. I failed in protecting the people around me, that while I did not know them for long but they showed a sort of generosity towards me when they didn't have to. I have this great power granted to me by Odin, and seemingly I still can't stop external things from killing people that have done good for others in this world. God dammit, that pisses me off more than anything else. Before I even left for the Capital City originally I should've taken the opportunity then to investigate Lord Sparrow and his possible connections to the Icarus Cult. Maybe, just maybe, if I investigated him earlier then none of the events happening right now would've happened.

"Battlemages are ready again Lady Athena!"

"Good! Now Battlemages! Paladin and Omega's formation are scattered, with no one knowing where Paladin is at this very moment. Therefore, we must focus on the other goal! Come together and aim straight for the face of the Minotaur!"

Paladin listened to Lady Athena, as he then heard footsteps from someone running up to her.

"Lady Athena, Archer and Lady Diane's formation has taken a lot of casualties against the Great Burning Minotaur. While the Inquisitors Jingks' and Noxious are still doing fine, we can't expect that they will be fine for too much longer. The beast is distracted on the other two formations over their formation."

"That's good Highclere, that's very good. At the very least it will buy us more time--" Lady Athena crossed her arms and she turned to look at the battlefield. She was able to see bodies all over the ground, bodies from all four factions that were fighting in the valley. The grass was all gone from the battlefield, the only colors remaining in the battlefield being red, grey, and brown. Suddenly, from the next of her the battlemages came together and all held out their hands at the same time. An orange spiraling flame appeared in all of their hands and then suddenly small flames were casted forth and aimed directly for the head of the Great Burning Minotaur.

"Is there any news on Paladin?"

Highclere gave a heavy sigh and he shook his head.

"Lady Athena, I regret to report, we have yet to find Paladin anywhere on the battlefield. If he is out there...he is no longer standing."

Lady Athena stood silent for a moment, she gave a deep and heavy sigh before she responded to Highclere, and when she did respond to Highclere she made sure her back was turned and she looked away from him.

"Find him Highclere, even if he is no longer standing, there is always a chance."

Highclere nodded his head.