Chapter 43 - A different type of infected, pt 1

Having blown up the city, the team was moreorless somber about the situation, and how they probably could've done more to prevent this outcome. All the operators could think about was all the lives they failed to save, especially Ash. She seemed to be torn the most, seeing as she was in charge of the operation, she felt the most responsible for the failure, despite Y/N and Ela trying to reassure her that it wasn't her fault. Outrider was once again arguing with Firebreak, which was not helping the morale of the rest of the operators. Doc had his head in his hands, disappointed in himself for not being able to save Dr. Mackintosh. He was sure to have nightmares about it for the next few days, a week at most, if he was lucky. Dokkaebi tried to take her mind off of it by playing a mobile game. Everyone else was pretty much trying to nap off the experience they have just faced while Jäger flew all of them back to base. Y/N shortly joined him in the co-pilot seat.

Jäger: "How are the others doing?"

Y/N: "They're... managing... in their own right..."

Jäger: "Is Eliza still beating herself up over this?"

Y/N: "Unfortunately, even though we try to convince her that there was nothing else we could've done..."

Jäger: "I'm positive she will come around soon. In the meantime, you may as well get comfortable. We still have a long way to go to get back to..."

He suddenly cuts himself off at the sight of what was coming up. Y/N sees it as well, as they both see what can only be described as brown clouds.

Jäger: "That's... an odd color for clouds..."

Y/N: "Looks like it'll be a bit of heavy turbulence. Ill let the others know."

Jäger: "Roger that. Ill keep us on course."

As Y/N went back to the cargo bay to let the others know about potential turbulence, Jäger proceeded to continue en route to Hereford through the brown clouds. It was light at first, but the visibility quickly decreased, becoming thicker and heavier.

Jäger: "What on earth is-"

He was immediately cut off by the emergency alarms that were starting to go off like crazy. He didnt know what was causing them to go off, but shortly after, he realized that the osprey was starting to lose altitude. He tried to regain control, but it was not responding. Y/N immediately came back into the cockpit to see what was going on.

Y/N: "Marius, what's going on? Why are the emergency alarms sounding?"

Jäger: "I don't know... I'm losing control for some reason... The rotors.... they're stalling, but i dont know why..."

As he was trying to fiddle around with the controls, they both noticed that the instruments and equipment were starting to rust at a rapidly alarming rate. They didn't know what the hell was going on, but it was really bad news. Shortly, they noticed that it was not only the equipment turning rust, but the entire osprey was beginning to inexplainably rust and corrode. Ash comes in, seemingly panicked at the events unfolding.

Ash: "Guys, something is happening to the chopper..! It's... rusting... out of nowhere! What is going on!?"

Shortly after, Jäger completely loses control of the helo, as it is now losing altitude at a much faster rate and slowly beginning to spiral out of control.

Jäger: "Ive lost control of it. We're going down!"

Everyone onboard was beginning to panic and were clammering to find something to hold on to. Jäger tried to fight for whatever control he could, eventually being able to at the very least steer. He sees what looks to be an abandoned airfield.