Chapter 1 • Sephy

"Search the alley!"

Sephy's heart was beating loudly in her chest, her sharp eyes cautiously scanning the ground below her. There was a group of four police officers, armed with all kind of weapons meant to catch and sedate a wild animal. Yet that was the thing, they were not hunting wild animals.
They were hunting for hybrids; stray hybrids.

Hybrids like Sephy.

"Don't forget to look between the trash!" One of the officers, a man with a thick mustache curled on his upper lip, ordered loudly. He was obviously the more experienced one, judging from the way his knees didn't seem to shake in fear, or how his breath wasn't ragged in anticipation for when a feral hybrid would suddenly jump their throats.

"I got one!"
Another officer, a woman in her thirties this time, yanked a tiny vixen hybrid from between the pile of garbage bags. The little thing tried everything she could to escape the hawk-like grip on her neck and arm, but didn't manage to break free.

The other two officers jumped to help their co-worker, one of them steadying the hold on the vixen, while the third quickly pushed a syringe into her neck, immediately knocking her out.

"Good job, guys! That's the fifth one today!" The mustache-man announced smugly, his wrinkly fingers running through the unconscious vixen's orange locks. "Let's call it a day. This one might bring us more money as she actually seems pretty enough to be sold. Let's hope they can tame her."

Sephy gritted her sharp teeth as she heard the obnoxious man let out an amused laugh. Haughty humans treating hybrids like they were objects, if that wasn't one of her biggest pet peeves.

She quietly shifted her position in the tree, leaning forwards to watch how the group of officers carried the vixen, who's name was actually Amy, into the van.

Every hybrid knew not to hide in alleyways. It was way too predictable. Amy made a mistake, and it was her lethal.
Even though Sephy had actually talked to the vixen multiple times, she refrained from trying to help her. It was every hybrid for themselves once the police showed up.

Well, not every hybrid.

A cold trembling hand grabbed hers, seeking comfort without words.
The girl kept her eyes on the van, waiting for it to turn around the corner and disappear out of her sight.

"D-Did he say the fifth?"

Following the deep trembling voice, Sephy looked besides her, observing the handsome boy crouched down on the same branch. His dark eyes were widened in worry, disheveled hair and hollow of his cheeks only emphasizing the terrified look.

She had to find them some food and new clothing soon. He was getting way too thin, and that torn up t-shirt wasn't going to keep him warm.

"You know there's a new regulation, Tae. If by the end of the day a group of officers hasn't caught at least two stray hybrids, then they risk losing their job. Besides, every hybrid they bring in extra gets them more money." The girl softly ran her fingers through his dark locks and past his fluffy ears, a smile growing on her face as the older boy closed his eyes. He let out a sigh, muscles relaxing under her simple touch.

"We're going to have to be even more careful then. I don't want to lose you just because we chose the wrong hiding spot." Taehyung opened his eyes as Sephy pulled back her hand. She motioned for the red panda hybrid to climb down the tree and he did, the girl closely following behind.

He was right. They had been surviving on the streets for longer than a year now, and she wasn't about to lose her freedom or Tae just because of some stupid racist regulation. Though hiding would be a lot harder now that they were actually searching thoroughly.

The first few months, Sephy managed to convince Tae to hide on the playground every time an officer would pass. He had looked clean enough to be an adopted hybrid and didn't stick out of the group of people visiting the playground. Instead of hiding in all the sketchy obvious spots, hiding in plain view did the trick.

The moment he as well started to look homeless is when they had to be more creative. As both were excellent climbers they often went some place high. Though now after such a long time of living in horrible conditions, the two didn't really have the strength to climb very high.
Even just moving down the tree like they were currently doing, left them a panting mess.

Once their feet hit the ground, the duo ran towards their hide-out for the night. They had stayed there for a week or so and did that with every hide-out. Changing spots regularly to make sure they wouldn't get caught.

One by one, the two dove into the bush that held a big cardboard box buried inside. They curled their thin bodies into a ball, Sephy's smaller figure planted on Tae's lap as the two huddled together for warmth.

Taehyung buried his face in the girl's strawberry blonde hair, his nose rubbing against that special spot on her neck where her scent was the strongest.
A slight purr ripped from the girl's throat at the affectionate gesture.
Knowing Taehyung needed some comfort as well, Sephy brought up her hand to softly scratch at his ears with her nails.

The two cuddled even closer as a cold breeze ripped through the bush, warning them for the night's temperature.

Great, they would be freezing their butts off again.

"Sephy? Do you think adoption is bad?"
His slender fingers tangled in her hair, giving the girl the same massage as she was giving him.

Sephy, who's cat side had taken over for a second, stopped licking the boy's cheek. "I don't know. I know the both of us didn't have the best experience with adoption before, but just because we were mistreated once, doesn't mean that all people are bad."

The girl closed her eyes as she slowly started to grow tired. Taehyung watched in amusement as her tail slowed in movement, only to wildly dance around again as he scratched a certain part on the base of her ears.

It had taken him quite some time to crack Sephy out of her shell; he'd found her in the darkest period of her life after all. Still, he was so extremely thankful for not giving up on befriending her. She was the greatest thing that ever happened to him. And even though she sometimes acted as if his affection didn't bother her, as if she didn't like his attention, her active tail always showed him more than her glaring eyes did.

"Getting caught by the police is not the way though. They don't sell hybrids to loving people. I mean, why would they? They think we're monsters." Sephy's voice sounded very soft in Taehyung's ear. Her eyebrows furrowed in sadness, though the red panda couldn't see.
She lazily moved her head until it was resting on his shoulder, the cold tip of her nose nuzzling into his neck.

"I wish certain humans would be a bit kinder. Just because we're different doesn't mean we can't feel hurt."

The kitten hybrid nodded in response, too sleepy and sad to say another word.
Tae pressed a sweet kiss to her cheek to wish her good night, shifting back into his original position after; his face buried in the crook of her neck.

The two stayed close, slowly falling asleep and dreaming of a better world.

~~
Hi loves! Thank you so much for giving this story a try!

I know this chapter is very short (for me that is), but I wanted to give you a vague intro before the next chapter ^-^

I intend to make this book full of fluff, but depending on where the story line goes, I can't promise that there won't be any type of smut. (I'm not sure though, I find smut quite a difficult topic. Not to write, but because BTS are living human beings and I don't know how I feel about sexualizing them that way. Like I love reading stories that include smut, but I also feel uncomfortable and rude? Idk, it's complicated)

Also, please keep in mind that English is not my first language. Let me know if you see any mistakes, because I'd love to improve, but don't be rude about it! Thank you! <3

Have fun reading! And don't forget to take good care of yourself! You're lovely, amazing and beautiful! ^-^