Chapter 18 • Water Works

The group watched in slight surprise as the kitten allowed her emotions to show through crying. It weren't just a few tears, no, she was full on sobbing.

Namjoon heaved a soft sigh, his straight posture relaxing. Some of the other boys also cried after receiving a scolding, but that didn't mean they weren't necessary. It didn't happen too often, but especially the youngest two could cause quite some trouble. It seemed Sephy disliked it as well. Luckily he had finished though.

Stepping closer to the girl to pull her into a comforting hug, the wolf was surprised to feel himself being shoved away, a small hand pushing at his chest.

She rejected him, not wanting the man to touch her when she was wailing, in her eyes, without a logical reason.

Thinking that she might have pushed Namjoon away because he was the one to scold her -he had noticed the way Namjoon's chin was sticking out when they joined the pair, indicating that he had been serious- Jimin stepped closer to Sephy, wanting to console her and get rid of the tears.

Sephy coldly rejected him just the same. She angrily wiped her face dry, only for new droplets of salty water to cover the old trails. The kitten turned away from the men, crouching down to form her body into a tiny ball and defeatedly sink into the grass.

"Sephy, they were just trying to comfort you." Jin started. Sephy glared at him, not liking that they were all looking at her. She used her hands to cup her droopy ears, not even simply ignoring them, but preventing herself from hearing them at all.

She wanted to be left alone in her sorrow and shame.

Feeling slightly agitated by the bratty behaviour, Jin moved to take a step closer to the girl. Before he could however, Taehyung had put his hand on the man's broad shoulder.
"Hyung," the red panda shook his head, gesturing the oldest to leave this to him.

He had known Sephy for the longest. He knew that she didn't like crying and having others give her attention while her face was a watershow, made her feel extremely embarrased.

Luckily he had learned the most effective way to calm the younger down.

Confusing the crap out of her.

Taehyung dismissively waved his hands, shooing the others back a bit.
Once they were at a decent distance, the boy wandered over towards the ball of sadness that was Sephy and sat down next to her.

When the girl glared up at him through the curtain of her hair, the red panda made sure to purposely keep his attention elsewhere.

He let out a soft gasp, mouth falling open in surprise as he stared at a random branch up a tree. Squinting his eyes he leaned forwards, acting as if he saw something unusual.
Even though the girl had seen this tactic before, she couldn't help but search the trees for whatever was making Taehyung this expressive.

When she found nothing in particular she tried to return to her sobbing, but Taehyung kept staring at this one particular spot, not spending her even one glance.

Was she missing something?

Taehyung wanted to smirk in triumph when he slowly heard the kitten's breathing slow down. Every time he used a slightly different method to distract the girl, that being either asking her very random questions so that she would lose track of her own thoughts and forget that she was crying, or talking about something completely unrelated to the subject so that she could listen to him while calming down.

Sitting next to her so that he was close enough for comfort without touching her and keeping his eyes fixed somewhere else seemed to be enough today as her sobs turned into soft sniffles; a sign that she finally felt in control of her own body, enough to let others comfort her.