Eight

Veronica's POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I turned it off and sighed. I wanted to go back to sleep, but I remembered it was only Thursday. I got up and immediately grabbed my phone. I had a few texts from Kevin asking where I was at nine o'clock.

Kev

K: Where are you?

At 9:23 pm. I called him. He immediately answered.

"Veronica." He said.

"Hey, sorry I didn't text back last night. I was home. Sorry I was asleep thats why I didn't text back. What'd you need?"

"Nothing. I just was wanting to make sure. But uhh.." I heard a few voices in the background. "I have to go now bye." He said and quickly hung up. I just put my phone down and got around.

When I got to school, I didn't even try to find my friends. I just went to the English classroom. I don't know why I just did. I saw Cheryl and Toni. They tried to get me to come over to them, but I just continues to walk to the classroom. I worked into the room and he smiled at me.

"Back again?" He asked. I just shrugged.

"Yeah, I was wondering if I could just come here in the morning? Maybe not every morning. But really just to get away from people for a bit." I asked. He chuckled.

"Yeah, sure! Come as long as you want." He said. I smiked a little and went to sit down.

I would look up at him every once in a while. I knew it was looking at me too. What is happening? When the bell rang and I had to leave, I ran into Kevin on my way to my next class.

"Oh hey, Veronica." He said.

"Hey, Kev." I said.

"Where were you this morning? You weren't in the students lounge with the rest of us." He said.

"Oh, I was just walking around the halls. Trying to clear my head a bit, I guess." I said. He nodded.

"Yeah, okay. So I'm gonna go see in an hour." He said and walked off. I sighed and went to my class.

Like always, the day was boring. So far. I walked to the English class to find Kevin already in there.

"How are you always here before me?" I asked. He just shrugged and classes started. During the whole class hour, him and I, we just kept looking at each other and making eye contact. It was weird

"Hey, what's going on?" He whispered to me. I looked at him.

"What do you mean?" I whispered back. He looked at the teacher then back to me.

"You two were really looking at each other." He said with a small smile. I rolled my eyes and hit him.

"No, Kevin! I don't understand why you are even thinking that." I said.

"Well, we would Toni here, too. She sees it also. Anyways, if you'd like to know why I think so--" I cut him off.

"Okay, Kevin. As much as I would like to know. I also really don't want to. Because you are just being stupid, okay? Shut up about it. All of it." I said. He chuckled.

"Okay." He said and class went on.

At lunch

"Ronnie, where have you been?" Archie asked me as I had just now sat at lunch with everybody. I looked at him.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"You're late to lunch." He said. I shrugged.

"I'm not that late, Archie." I said.

"Okay? Well, can I talk to you for a second then?" He asked. I sighed and looked at Betty. She slightly shrugged and I looked back at Archie.

"Sure. What about?" I asked. He stood up.

"Come with me." He said and started walking off. I got up and followed him.

"What is it, Archie?" I asked.

"What's going on with you?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He sighed.

"Well, you're always with Kevin, or Cheryl and Toni. It's like we aren't even together. And that conversation last week. When you guys were talking about you dating somebody else or something. What was that all about?" He asked.

"I already told you it was nothing. Plus, why are you concerned about me hanging out with my friends? Besides, you're always with Betty. Who else am I gonna be with? You clearly have better things to be doing with Betty." I said. He sighed again.

"Why are you getting upset about this? Betty and I are just friends wanting to hang out together. Why is it a big deal?" He asked. I scoffed.

"Because it's like you're her boyfriend and not mine!" I said.

"Veronica, why didn't you tell me that's how you felt before?" He asked.

"Because I didn't want to seem like the jealous girlfriend. Plus, what Cheryl and Toni are saying you, I guess it just made me paranoid." I told him.

"Wait, what Cheryl and Toni are saying something? What are they saying?" He asked kind of worriedly.

"They just keep telling me that you are cheating on me with Betty. I keep telling them they're wrong. I don't believe you and Betty would do that to me." I told him. He sighed of relief. What the fuck?

"I would never hurt you, Ronnie. Betty's my bestfriend, that's all." He said. I nodded.

"Yeah, I know that." I said.

"I love you, Ronnie." He said. I smiled a little.

"I... love you, too." I don't know why I hesitated. We walked back to everybody else. Something about me saying I love you to Archue felt... off. What the hell is happening right now. Maybe it's got something to do with my crush on somebody else. But I don't think so.

"What was that all about?" Toni asked.

"Uhh, nothing." Archie said before I could even open my mouth. "Just something about us." He added. I sighed and down. Why was he so quick to say nothing?